`(0008, 0061)` DICOM Tag Value Discrepancies

• Hi,

When I query the DICOM Web Server for the studies in a DICOM node, there is a DICOM tag (0008, 0061) for each study which lists the modalities in that study.

Say, for a study initially, the value for the tag is `CT\\RTSTRUCT\\RTPLAN`

Now, I go and delete a series, say RTPLAN from that study. If I run the query again, I expect the value of the tag to be `CT\\RTSTRUCT` but instead it retains the initial value.

This issue happens with the deletion of any series inside a study and while querying studies again, the DICOM tag (0008, 0061) isn't updated properly.

How would I resolve this issue?

Thanks.

• Hi,

that is a good one. The database entry does not update after each deletion, this would require a rescan of all objects within the study on each delete. I am reluctant to fix this as deletion is not a normal DICOM operation. Normally you would delete a whole study not parts of it. I will add it to the buglist - as a will not fix.

best regards,

Marcel

• Hi Marcel

I totally agree that deleting instances (or series) in a study is not normal, with the risk of ending up with 'dangling' references and an invalid hierarchy in the study. However, if the operation mentioned above can be performed 'legally', that is, the application exposes this functionality via its UI and cmdl interfaces, then it should also put the things right by updating the database. Otherwise, one can formally allow the system to be placed into an invalid state. It's not uncommon to have this functionality in Dicom systems, both Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud allow this (as shown by the links). But, please, do not resolve this by removing the individual deletions :) (as they are useful on occasions)!

Regards,

Virgiliu

• Hi,

I would argue that the effect of the potential discrepancy is very small. You can alway do a full regen to correct it. Or you can help by drafting code to calculate the tag on the fly at the cost of a reduced query speed.

regards,

Marcel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!