New Conquest server project

• Hi!

We are currently planing a new Conquest Server which should be capable of holding the data for about 10 years.
    Though this is a difficult task I could need some help and suggestions :-)

This is what we got so far:

LianLi cube case

Tyan Server Board
    Xeon Quad Core 2,66GHZ
    8GB RAM ECC Kingston

2x 3Ware 16 Port Sata RAID Controller

6x SATA Backplane IcyDock MB455SPF

2x Seagate SAS 15k rpm 147GB as System Drive (RAID 1)
    2x Seagate SAS 15k rpm 300GB as database drive (RAID 1)

13x Hitachi 1TB drive as storage
    13x Seagate 1TB drive as storage

storage drives configured as RAID 6 with one hot spare drive.

Windows Server Enterprise 64bit

What I am totally not sure about is the power supply, should I go for a redundant server modell
    or would an Enenermax Galaxy with 1000W be sufficient (has the advantage of 18 connectors!) - we do not rely on the server beeing up 24/7, we do also archive all of our studies on DVD.

So what do you think? Is the setup appropiate or would you suggest something different?

Best regards
    Stephan

• I'm with Mr. Johnson - definitely go with redundant power supplies.. or at the very minimum have a spare on hand in case you lose one.. that way you're not trying to find a place with one in stock or waiting on shipping.. (both would suck really hard)

if its worth doing.... its worth doing right.

• Hi,

for the database, I believe i would go would mysql now, it needs less maintenance to keep going for very large table sizes. The main issue is how you are going to backup the main storage and the database. I have seen raid systems fail catastrophically, so we still put stuff on tape for backup.

Marcel

• I'll second the usage of MySql. My latest iteration is stable and maintenance free for a little over three years. I like the maintenance free part. Also, I use redundant power supplies and UPS backup. Our utility provides somewhat unstable power.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!