DICOM Files in the filesystem

• Hi all,

I have had a small discussion with Mr. van Herk about this DICOM files that reside in the Conquest filesystem:

Quote from Marcel van Herk

If the images are stored as .v2 files then the metaheaders are stripped in the latest version. Files with .dcm extension keep the metaheader. I never noticed that the length is missing, but it can be true since the length is also created automatically by the UCMDC libraries when reading the images. Could you also send me some sample images that work and fail? We use dcmtk 3.5.4 to compress and decompress jpeg data and that works, but then we store the data as dcm not v2.

To solve the problem you could maybe transmit the images from conquest into your server.

• Meanwhile, I have found another type of header corruption: Some images contain a complete metaheader. The transfersyntax says that the file is encoded in LittleEndian (don't remember if it was implicit or explicit, but I could try to find out if it helps). However, the pixeldata is obviously compressed. I find a hint in the DerivationDescription about the used compression algorithm.

Following Mr. van Herk's suggestion, I would like to transfer the images to our server using DICOM-C-Store. But is there any way of making sure that all images were successfully transferred? Does Conquest support storage commitment as an SCU? Is there a mode which tells conquest to delete the images after successful transmission? Or are there any other ideas how to accomplish the transfer?

Thanks in advance

Markus

• I assume that the header corruption only occur for files stored with .v2 extension? Maybe some of these v2 files (NKI) compressed - this is not done using a transfer syntax, but by moving the pixel data to another VR. Also, older versions may not have handled jpeg completely correctly.

It may be possible to fix the files by replacing dgate.exe by a recent version, switching of NKI compression, and use a c-move to copy the images from the conquest server to the same conquest server. This will load and store the images. However, this will not generate a meta-header: only files stored with dcm extension recieve a metaheader. Such a copy operation will NOT change file extensions.

Add metaheaders (creating regular .dcm files) is possible by transmitting the the images from one server (using .v2 filenames, often with filenamesyntax 3) to another server (using .dcm filenames), where filenamesyntax is e.g. set to 4.

Marcel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!