Working with NAS as storage path

• Hello Marcel,

i have setup a mounted network drive (NAS share) as disc directory in the configuration of the GUI. If the dicom server is setup as not working as NT service and the GUI of the dicom server (ConquestDicomserver.exe) is active any file transfers (send from server or query from a node) work find (OS: Windows XP).

When installing the server as NT service (dgateserve.exe ...) there is a problem of finding the files on the according disc directory when looking into the log file.
    What is the difference of the both applications concerning the handling with the files on a mounted share?
    Is there a possibility to modify the command line options of the dicom server working as service to get the system working with mounted network drives?

The reason for that configuration is that we want to hold the studies for a longer term of period 5-10 years in online archives. We have several external NAS RAID 5 systems which offer these shares. If this would work with the installed services the process would be easier to handle.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Michael

• Hi Michael,

you have to set the account with which the service logons.

Start - control panel - admin - services - CONQUESTSRV1 - logon

Change from Local System Account (default) to e.g., your account or whatever the server runs under. Then the service should have adequate rights to access the shares and things should work.

Marcel

• Hello Marcel,

thanks for the info. I added AD support to the NAS and increased the security on share an files to maximum. The NAS is not another Windows machine. It is a RAID 5 volume with a pre OS that offers AD support.
    (5x750GB harddiscs)

The dgateserve service had also the same rights but i still does not work.
    For testing i started the dgate.exe with the /p# -v on the command line. This worked fine.
    Files could be queried and send from an to the server. It seems that if a network drive is mapped even if having enough rights the service runs with a "not enough rights in MAG0" error message.
    Does this come from the accesstest.log routine? I had a short look at the source file. What else could produce this message and stop the server working as a service?

Regards Michael

• Hi Michael,

Does it give the same message when you stop the service and restart it? Maybe it tries to run the server before the NAS is up. If so you can maybe delay startup by making the CONQUESTSRV1 service dependent on the NAS or on another windows service.

You did change the login of the service from system to a user with full access?. Maybe you use a drive mapping that is not valid for the service but only when logged in?.

The message is produced when conquest fails to write a file do data\printer_files, i.e. when it would fail writing to any data\xxxx directory.

Marcel

• Hello Marcel,

the service user is the same that i am logged on the system. I have Domain Admin rights and full rights on the share and the file system on the NAS.

The NAS is already up when the service is started. I did the start and stop manually.

What i don????t understand is that the command line with dgate works fine and within the service it has problem.

I have additionally tested a software called service mill. With that software you can install apps running as services that could normally not run as service.
    I have got the the same results with the error message.
    Well i will try it now with a Windows share to see if there is difference and let you know about the results.

Regards
    Michael

• Hello Marcel,

i tried now a windows share with maximum rights and used the mounted drive as local store path in the GUI.
    Then i installed the service from the Dicom server GUI and got the same results after i setup up the user logon service of dgateserv to max rights.

For further testing i opened the GUI again with the dgate app running as service and send from another node files to the server. The info was written correct in the database, the server status windows wrote "written file ..." but in fact no files were created in the path directory. So it seems to be reproduceable or i always do the same thing wrong? What else can be wrong ?

The testing with service mill was an addional testing instead of dgateserv. This should be another alternative and by the way i really appreciate your work and your help. The conquest server is a real great tool.

Regards
    Michael

• Michael

Your service must still have insufficient rights to write to the NAS. The initial test is to avoid the situation you just saw: failure to write to MAG0.

On my win2000 system I see (I just tested changing the logon):

start - controlpanel - admin - services:
    CONQUESTSRV1 (empty) Started Automatic .\marcel

The latter is the logon, which I changed from LocalSystem to in my case ./marcel, which could be YOURDOMAIN/marcel in a domain environment. The logon sets the rights to the disks and shares. Sometimes there is both a local user and a domain user - these probably have different rights - that could be your problem.

Good luck!

Marcel

• Hi Marcel,

that????s what i did. It does no matter to take local or a domain accout for the service. Sorry for that. I don????t want to bother you but as database and sys admin i know how to handle with the services.
    I agree with you that is has to do with rights but i does not work only with the rights on the share or the file system.
    May be the account needs the additional rights like acting as a service. I am going to try this.

Regards
    Michael

• Repeatable.

Map drive Z: not installed as service writes files correctly to share.

Install as NT service, Server Status indicates writing files, but no data shows up on Mapped drive.

\\server\name\dir\ set in dicom.ini shows writing files, no data written in share.

No error messages.

[CONQUESTSRV1] [recompress]: recompressed with mode = un (strip=0)
    [CONQUESTSRV1] Written file: \\aqnet01\store\test\data\007\1.2.840.113619.2.134.1762854750.1894.1092875456.831_0003_000010_1170885156005a.dcm
    [CONQUESTSRV1] Server Command := 0001
    [CONQUESTSRV1] Written file: \\aqnet01\store\test\data\007\1.2.840.113619.2.134.1762854750.1894.1092875456.831_0003_000011_1170885156005b.dcm
    [CONQUESTSRV1] UPACS THREAD 1: ENDED AT: Wed Feb 07 13:57:19 2007
    [CONQUESTSRV1] UPACS THREAD 1: TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 6 SECONDS

# Configuration of disk(s) to store images
    MAGDeviceThreshhold = 0
    MAGDevices = 1
    MAGDevice0 = \\aqnet01\store\test\data\
    NightlyCleanThreshhold = 0

NOT Service

[CONQUESTSRV1] Written file: z:\007\1.2.840.113619.2.134.1762854750.1894.1092875456.831_0003_000010_1170885156005a.dcm
    [CONQUESTSRV1] Server Command := 0001
    [CONQUESTSRV1] Written file: z:\007\1.2.840.113619.2.134.1762854750.1894.1092875456.831_0003_000011_1170885156005b.dcm
    [CONQUESTSRV1] UPACS THREAD 0: ENDED AT: Wed Feb 07 14:00:49 2007

# Configuration of disk(s) to store images
    MAGDeviceThreshhold = 0
    MAGDevices = 1
    MAGDevice0 = z:\
    NightlyCleanThreshhold = 0

[CONQUESTSRV1] UPACS THREAD 0: TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 5 SECONDS

After more playing aroung (including giving conquest my user/pwd in services) when attempting to save to share, installed as service I get:

[CONQUESTSRV1] ***Error getting free store for device z:\
    [CONQUESTSRV1] Written file: z:\007\1.2.840.113619.2.134.1762854750.1894.1092875456.831_0003_000011_1170887111002d.dcm
    [CONQUESTSRV1] UPACS THREAD 0: ENDED AT: Wed Feb 07 14:25:11 2007
    [CONQUESTSRV1] UPACS THREAD 0: TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 3 SECONDS

However:

Maintenance area "Show free store" and "Regen MAG0" do not throw any errors. Displays correct free space on share.

So then I do:

Uninstall as NT service, write to share.. Data present, delete data.
    Install as NT service, says writing files, no data on share, no error.

Must be missing something basic, but can't find it right now.

• I'm also really lost. The same dgate.exe and the same settings are used as service or not. I tried to write at home from one win2000 machine to a share on another - no problem as service or not. Something fundamental must have changed to the way services behave with xpsp2 or: you said your share is a NAS, maybe it is a problem in the NAS software. You might try a share to a normal server.

Marcel

• Hi Marcel,

i tried all variations wih \\{server}\{share} or mapped drive with drive letter with NAS or with server share but still have the same problem.
    I think this is not a problem of the NAS. If it works on your Windows 2000 it seems that it is related with the OS because on XPSP2 it does not really work.
    Well it is not really a big problem because i just use the as workaround the dgate.exe -p# as command box running.

Regards
    Michael

• Hi.

Having the same problem with a XP box mounting a Linux SMB file share.
    Conquest was logging that files wear written to disk but no files wear found when browsing the file share.

Just opened CMD and ran dgate.exe -v and left the window open

Works great, any clues on what is going on ? What is the difference between -v and -p ?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!