K-PACS how to's: burning patient CD's

• 1. import the study(ies) into the local database via dicom network or filesystem import.
    2. Click the "export" button and select "burn on cd"
    3. A grid will be shown that list all selected studies with numbers of images and size on cd.
    4. If your system is Windows XP you can burn the CD directly with K-PACS, if not a folder with the CD content will be created in K-PACS main folder/CD-Projects

the CD's will contain a DICOMDIR and one ore more folders with dicom images compliant to the DICOM standard

• Hi There:

Q1. With the burning option, when I right click from the Export button, the Select CD burning program is blocked. How can I select a CD burning program like Nero ?

Q2. From the ImageBox, I selected the image, after left clicking on export and select burn on cd, there are three buttons that are in German. Can someone clarify their meaning in English ?

Q3. I went ahead and selected the Brenen button, Windows Xp braught up the burning program. It burnt successfully on CD. But now how do I play the contents on the CD ? I cannot play the CD although I see a lot of files in there. Whcih files loads a viewer on the CD ?

Thank you :cry:

• There might be some problem with the translation file custom.ini because I actually translated the places you mention. I would advise you to download the kpinstall.exe from http://www.k-pacs.net again and reinstall (update) your version.

Right now there is no option available for selecting a third party cd-burner program, so you either have to use the build in (xp wrapper) writer or create a cd-project, which means that the CD content will be written to a directory in k-pacs/cd-projects/ directory. If so you have to start Nero manually and select this folder to burn the CD.

The created CD's right now contain all dicom files of the selected studies + a DICOMDIR file. Currently a viewer is not included. To read those CD's you need a Dicom Viewer (e.g. DicomWorks, K-PACS) that is capable of reading DICOMDIR files. In case you want to read the CD with K-PACS click "Filesystem" and select the CD-drive. A dialog will ask you if you want to use the found DICOMDIR. Click yes and you will see the studies an the CD in a grid. Select the studie you want to view through doubleclicking.

Andreas

• The burn on CD incorrectly selects a read only CD.

How do we change the default d:\ (cd location)?

After that, will the CD get the right file.

How do we get a reader to the patient?

Does he need to install KPACS on his home computer?

• Right now the CD-creator dialog shows the first available CD-writer only. It does not check for writeable CD's. I will add an option for selecting the CD writer if you have more than one.
    A viewer application will not be burned on CD yet. I am working on that as well. You can read the CD's with any dicom viewer that is capable of reading DICOMDIR (e.g K-PACS or DicomWorks)

Andreas

• WE NEED TO BURN OUR FIRST CD TOMMORROW AM. THESE NEED TO GO TO MRI FACILITY IN MORNING.

THE INSTRUCTIONS DO NOT WORK.

WHEN INSTALING KPINSTALL.EXE AFTER SAVING IN KPACS DIRECTORY. THE ACCEPT BUTTON KILLS ALL THE EXTRACTED FILES INCLUDING KPACS.EXE. I HAVE CANCELED LIKE YOU INSTRUCTED AND GOTTEN A KPACS.EXE WITH A 7/4 DATE.

AFTER SCANNING IN FILES INTO IMAGE BOX, THE EXPORT - BURN CD IS GREYED OUT.

WHEN SELECTING AN IMAGE IN VIEWER , THERE IS NO OPTION TO SAVE ON CD.

I AM OPERATING ON WINXP

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET THESE FILES OUT IMMEDIATELY.

I KNOW I CAN EXPORT AS JPEG FILES, BUT THEN WHAT.

DR BOB MORROW

• Hello Bob,

in case the "burn CD" button is grayed out k-pacs can not detect a winXP compatible CD-writer. K-PACS uses the build in driver provided by windows - there are some known incompatibilities to certain cd writers.

What you can do:
    select the study you want to burn in the grid
    click "export" and "burn on cd"
    click "create cd project"

K-PACS will write all the image files and a viewer application to the folder you can read at "project folder".

Now you only have to burn the CD using a third party program like NERO or DeepBurner. Open this application and select the folder of the project you just created. Create the CD, but be careful that you copy the CONTENT of the Folder to the CD root. I mean you should create a CD with a structure like
    D:\autorun.inf
    D:\DICOMDIR
    D:\K-PACS-Lite

not like
    D:\CD1\autorun.inf
    D:\CD1\DICOMDIR

hope I could help,
    Andreas

• 1) We still have a problem burning CDs:
    How can I change the recorder's device letter? Default is D.

2) Attempt to print results in constant output of a DINA4 sheet instead of selected A3. Also landscape format is not possible. We use a Kyocera Mita FS 6020.

Best regards

Christian

• Hi Christian,

does your computer have got more than one CD-writer? K-pacs actually searches for Win XP compatible writers and will default to the first one found. If the "burn CD" button is grayed out, it K-PACS did not find a compatible writer.

I know there are several problems with paper format. American formats and A3 are not well supported by the printer driver component I use. I will change that as soon as I find a solution

regards,
    Andreas

• What I have found is that the cd project is created without a DICOMDIR file, and has been mentioned before, the custom.ini file points the default cd-rom drive to "D:\".

I don't know if this is an issue (the D:\), but what are the actual files themselves supposed to contain?

autorun.inf is obvious, it loads the k-pacs lite viewer.
    The viewer runs, then issues a cryptic german error message, with either a (1) or (0) at the end (usually when the 'scanning' graphic is up).
    The DICOMDIR file doesn't get created by the cd-project option, or by the XP cd creation option.
    The DLL file is almost certainly a support file for the viewer, and the S000*** directory is where the patient profile is stored with images.

At this point, the unknowns are
    custom.ini
    DICOMDIR

Also the cryptic error messages.

Troy C. Belding
    Bookworm Computing

• Additional information.

The main problem is that k-pacs isn't actually creating the DICOMDIR file at _all_.

How can I use the dcmmkdir.exe file to create the missing DICOMDIR file(s)?

I'm not sure what the format is for running it from the command line to utilize the S00001\*\* format.

BW

• Hi Troy,

first of all, the DICOMDIR file is essential for K-PACS-Lite to work properly. Without a DICOMDIR k-PACS will hang (with a stack overflow message in German)
    There are several reasons, why K-PACS fails to create a DICOMDIR.

1. some image formats are supported by the viewer but not by the dcmmkdir application

2. the folder name of the CD-Project is space padded (eg: c:\patient CDs\..). The OFFIS tools (e.g. dcmmkdir) sometimes fail to work with folders containing spaces in the name. (maybe because they originate from Linux). Make shure that NO folder with reference to K-PACS has a space padded name.

3. the dcmmkdir application is not located in K-PACS main directory.

What I will do:
    1. Add a notification if K-PACS failed to create a DICOMDIR.
    2. Let K-PACS-Lite scan the whole CD for Dicom files if there is no DICOMDIR. (this is slow but the user will be able to view the images)

Hope I could help,

Andreas

Ps.: to create a DICOMDIR manually copy the dcmmkdir application into the project folder and run it with the following parameters:
    dcmmkdir.exe --no-profile +r *.*
    Pps: the custom.ini file is a language file. If you delete it, K-PACS Lite's notations will be in German.

• If you'd like, I can tar.gz or .zip up the k-pacs directory, and let you take a look at the install, along with a patient project. (put it on an http pull, so you can download it).

c:\kpacs\cd-project\<six letter name>\S00001\ and so forth.

I'll try that, hopefully I can get two working cd's by tomorrow morning for Bob Morrow's office - he's out of town, and the one machine creating the cds properly can't get in the projects for some reason.

Is there an 8.3 limitation in it as well as the space limitation? if so, cd-project\ may be too long. (I'll try that tonight)

Troy

• Once I ran the command dcmmkdir.exe --no-profile +r *.* in the cd project directory, I received the following error(s)

Error: required attribute SeriesNumber (0020,0011) empty in file: S00001\SER00001\I00001
    Error: required attribute StudyID (0020,0010) empty in file: S00001\SER00002\I00001

• I've uploaded the K-Pacs installation from my laptop as a zip file, and send you an email with the link.

If I can simply figure out why it's refusing to generate a DICOMDIR, I'll be happy - then I can work out how to get around it.

Unfortunately, I don't know that there are any debug options in the cd-project creation, so I can't check logs.

Troy

• Hi Troy,
    I checked your image files and there are indeed no series numbers and no studyID numbers in the dicom headers. This is a violation of the DICOM standard and dcmmkdir rightly refuses to generate the DICOMDIR. Ask the vendor of your CR modality if there is a way to add these (very required) tag values.

Next version of K-PACS-Lite will scan the CD if no DICOMDIR is found, so you will be able to create readable CD's even with the non-conforming images.

regards,
    Andreas

• Is there any way to add those in through K-Pacs, so that I can at least generate a working cd?

Currently, we're using a Fuji FCR-AC-3CS unit, with a QAWS -770 workstation, to transfer to a ConQuest server system. K-Pacs is being used as the workstation.

I'm not sure at what point the ID is being left out.

Troy

• Looking at it in k-pacs, it appears to have a StudyUID and SerInstUID... Just very long ones.

I duplicated a patientID into the StudyID field on the QA-WS workstation, then transferred it to the ConQuest server - and kpacs still doesn't seem to see it. I can't find a location for Series Number on the workstation. It may be those have to be put in at the main Fuji screen.

Troy

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!