Conquest as DICOM router

• Hi Everyone,

I work in India on a project where we are trying to do teleradiology with remote rural hospitals. The issue is that their net is slow. We are trying to use Conquest to compress the images at the hospital end and send it to our DCM4CHEE server. I have enabled j2 compression on Conquest and the images are getting received by our server but we cannot view the images (Weasis and Oviyam viewers). Could someone help me with what the issue could be ?

Merçi!
    Kalyan

• Hi Marcel,

Thank you for the fast response! I am using Conquest DICOM Server 1.4.19.

Attached is the DICOM that I have sent. It has been received by DCM server but i'm not able to view the image using a viewer (weasis and oviyam) in this case.

• Hi,

I think the transfer syntax UID is incorrectly listed in the image. This is likely a particular issue with 1.4.19 that I will fix with high priority. What forward statement are you using? A quick fix may be to dowload e.g. 1.4.17d and use that. You can find it on the forum. By the way, Conquest will still understand the received images correctly hence I missed it during testing.

Marcel

• Hi Marcel,

I realised another thing during the testing; when i give the type of compression as "ul" or "ub", then i am able to view the images in the backend. Only when i give j2...6 etc I am unable to view. It is better to use the j compressions as I can see a significant increase in speed.

I also tried 17d and I found the same problem. Unable to view the images in the backend when I use j2.

• Sure Marcel,

I'm using the GUI of Conquest.

Under Tab "Known DICOM Providers"
    <AETITLE of my Test Server> <Ip address of my test server> <Port No. 11112> <Compression: j2>

If I put ul instead of j2, i am able to get it to my server and view it but it is much slower.

• Hi Marcel,

Log line is below when sending is j2 enabled:

[CONQUESTSRV1] Accepted compression: ui
    [CONQUESTSRV1] Sending file : c:\users\sony\desktop\conquest dicom\data\7rAgWJ\1.3.12.2.1107.5.2.5.11090.5.0.582367483902153_0003_000012_14969924900006.dcm

I could not find anything about accepted compression: ui in the manual.

(Strip=1) comes when I am using "ul" compression. Below is the log for that:

[CONQUESTSRV1] Sending file : c:\users\sony\desktop\conquest dicom\data\7rAgWJ\1.3.12.2.1107.5.2.5.11090.5.0.582367483902153_0003_000012_14969924900006.dcm
    [CONQUESTSRV1] [recompress]: recompressed with mode = ul (strip=1)

• Hi,

it seems that your receiving server does not support J2 (jpeg). Can you double check that. Conquest will however still send j2 because you sepecifically configured it for that server. A good workaround is to put conquest at the receiving end and auto forward anything received there to your server.

Marcel

• It could also be one of these:

jpeg must be enabled on conquest
    the conquest entry on dcm4chee must be jpeg enabled

what happens is that conquest sends jpeg images over a non-jpeg transfer syntax if you use J2 on the dcm4chee entry in conquest without the other requirements. Hope you can sort it out.

Marcel

• Hi Marcel,

Another doubt: does it matter how we store on disc? So if we store "uncompressed" and send using ul, is it different from store as "jpeg lossless" and send using "ul"? Does it send as stored ? Am asking as Orthanc doesn't send as stored, if I remember correctly.

• Conquest can recieve, store and transmit with any compression - the recompressed message says that image compression is modified; so how images are stored make no difference, just in speed.

The error is that conquest is configured as J2 (which forces J2 compression independently of what comes next) while dcm4che only accepts uncompressed. So dcm4che configuration does not match conquest. Can you post how you configured dcm4che?

Marcel

• Hi Marcel,

Currently I am pushing JPEG Lossless compressed images using "ul", not j2. It's definitely better than what I had so going with it for now; parallelly understanding how to configure dcm to allow receiving of images. Your idea of receiving on conquest and autoforwarding is great and that's what I'm trying to work on now.

• Hi Marcel,

Wanted your help and insight on the problem that I am facing:

I am using conquest with j2 compression to send compressed images to a dcm4che server. The files are being received but I am not able to view them. On looking at the logs, we are getting the following error:
    no image reader available for transfer syntax 1.2.840.10008.1.2

Do you know why this is happening and how I could solve this issue?

Regards,
    Kalyan

• Hi,

1.2.840.10008.1.2 is LittleEndianImplicit, which is the default old-fashioned transfer syntax; it seems there is a bug that the image is incorrectly labelled. How is the data sent to dmc4che? Can you show your acrnema.map entry, forwarder line and dicom.ini? To fix it, I suggest you forward as 'un'. Also you cannot use 'as' with dcm4che.

regards,

Marcel

• Hi Marcel,

Another small doubt, I have been using export converters to automatically send images to a target server. I have seen that sometimes the receiving of images in Conquest is really slow, and when I remove the export converters line from the dicom.ini file, it is much faster.

Is there any way I can delay the export converters from sending the images by a particular amount in time (say 30s)? or can i delay it till all images in a study have been received?

Thanks,
    Kalyan

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!