Database Regen troubles

• Hi Marcel. This is Davide after several months of "silence".
    First of all I want to thanks a lot for your work and your continuous support to the entire community through these years.

I'm a happy Conquest user from 2007 to manage various radiological images.
    From 2010 I decided to use Conquest to store our historical images produced by CT and MRI scanner. So we set-up a Windows 32 bit dedicated server with a lot of storage.
    Everything was ok until some days ago where our main RAID controller had a hardware failure and in a couple of days some files were damaged.
    This accident involved some system Files including the Database (MySQL) and a little amount of images.
    At the time of failure we where storing about 24 millions of CT/MRI images; 7 Millions images stored in MAG0 (1,5 Tb Internal RAID) and 17 Millions images stored in MAG1 (5,5 Tb external NAS).

Well. After this event I decided to change the server with a new one (was about 5 years old), reinstall all the software from the scratch and then to Rebuild the image database starting directly from the images stored, using the latest Conquest version (1.4.17d). All the images were stored in NKI format .V2

This operation was done in a few days for MAG0 (Regen MAG0) where the operation was interrupted several times when Conquest ecountered inconsistent damaged images and in some cases causing a VR Memory allocation Failure and a consequential Crash of DGate. With patience I isolated the damaged studyes and then restarded MAG0 Regen everytime.

Then I started to Regen MAG1. With surprise the operation was done in a short time, but when i Opened the database I saw 11 Millions images stored only, instead of 24 Millions.

The question is: MAG0 was rebuilt perfectly. There is a reason to explain why MAG1 was rebuilt with 3 or 4 Millions of images instead of 12 millions ?
    MAG1 file system does not contains errors or damaged images and the folder structure is simple: z:\Mag1\%ID_%NAME\%StudyID_%Modality\%SeriesID\%Sopuid.v2

There is a limit in the number of folders scanned by REGEN MAGX procedure ? In his case in MAG1 contains about 23.000 subfolders but It seems that Conquest regenerated a minimal part of these.

Could you kindly suggest me a way to regen MAG1 completely ?

I'm trying to make a file containing the complete file-list to submit by using DGATE.EXE --regenfile:file

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks for your attention, Davide.

• Hi

I can't help you with the specific problem bu I can rule out the maximum directory issue - I "re-gened" 26 million images recently all in one MAG-Device, with I don't know close to a or over a million subdirectories so there is no limit.

Aren't there any errors in the maintenance log if so many images where skipped?

• Thanks to all for your reply.

In the meanwhile I've taken a look at log files and didn't see any warning or error messages.
    I think he's right .... Marcel. I suspect that my NAS is not very efficient in carrying out this operation (It took several days to complete the task).

I hope to have found a sort of workaround. I've just taked a look at the DGATE.EXE command list and tried to use the following commandline

dgate.exe --regendir:device,dir

Unfortunately It doesn't support wildcards. In my mind I was thinking to regen small parts of my MAG1 device. eg. all folders starting by "A" ( dgate.exe --regendir:MAG1,A* ) then all folders starting by "B" and so on.

So I've decided to use the following "strategy":
    - dumped to file the root directory list (eg. from MAG1 folder by tiping "DIR > Myfolders.txt")
    - edited the obtained file in order to clean all the not needed information and to leave only "<DIR> FolderName" ( I used Ultraedit, a text editor that enable to edit by columns, non by rows only).
    - replaced the word <DIR> with the dgate commandline (dgate.exe --regendir:MAG1,FolderNAme)
    - saved the result as a batch file.

This resulted in a file containing the dgate commandline for each folder (about 24.000 in my case).
    As last operation I splitted this file in 10 smaller parts in order to have "more control" just in case of errors or troubles.

Last step: run each batch file one by one and see the results.

Perhaps this solution is a bit "dummy - home made". I apologize for this low-end solution but I'm not a programmer and wasn't able to do better, but At present Conquest regenerated about 8.000 folders without errors and finally I saw growing-up the number of images stored in the database.

Maybe if the --regendir:device,dir option could be able to supports wildcards It could semplify operations like this, but as said before I'm not a very expert user.

I hope my experience can be helpful to other peoples with little experience like me.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again to all. Davide.

P.S. Marcel. If you want to see some of the images that crash the dgate server during regeneration I can send to you by private mail. Theese could help you to improve the stability :-)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!