Cannot view Dicom Images

• I managed to search for Patients on the Pacs Server and was able to pull the patients information and the number/type of images they had. but, the viewer doesn't show me a thing. itz just blank. I didn't see any images in the local imagebox either. not sure what the problem might be.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

• Hi newKPacsUser,

This problem is most likely caused by missing or incorrect settings in your PACS Server. In order to retrieve images, this server must "know" the AET, IP and Port of K-PACS. Read the documentation of your server and find out how to set up this information.

regards,
    Andreas

• wow...you replied back the same day..I wasn't expecting a reply this fast...thanks for that & sorry about not responding any earlier.

yes but if the settings were wrong, KPacs won't retrieve any information from the PACS Server. but it does; just that it is not able to view them.if it is the wrong setting(which I purposely tried) it cannot retrieve any information about patients.

I searched for CT patients done last week, it retrieves the right information and even the right number of images, but the viewer doesn't seem to work.

I used DicomWorks to convert a patient folder on the pacs server to dcm format and then when I imported that folder from the filesystem, it worked fine.

but that doesn't really solve the problem of downloading images from the pacs server.

would be a great help if you point me in the right direction.

thank you so much

• trying to view images are a remote server - http://www.dicomserver.co.uk. am able to get connected to the server using their configuration. config info in K-PACS server page = (Medical Connection, KPServer, 217.160.210.147, 104) (or 11112). going back to the main page, i can enter * for the Patient ID and do a search. it returns 285 studies found. double clicking on one of the studies (yes, there are images under the study) results in network requests, but when the image viewer is displayed, it is black. looking at the log on the server, it shows that the the target (my machine) was actively refusing the connection. since i'm running Windows XP, i tried turning off the firewall, but no luck. appears that our network is very tight on allowing incoming TCP/IP connection requests, so the block is further up the network (and i'm not sure i can get it changed). according to the dicomserver support person, I (K-PACS) could use a C-GET instead of a C-MOVE to view the images and this should take care of the problem. is this something that can be modified?

• c-get is not implemented in will not in the future, because it is a very rarly used service. Most archives will not support a c-get request.

Anyway, I do not think that c-get would solve your problem because the k-pacs server accepts any c-store request at the port he is listening. The http://www.dicomserver.co.uk. answers a c-move request to an unkown target (every target is unknown for it) with a c-store to the callers IP and Port 104. If your network is behind a router it will see the routers IP. You will have to implement a sort of port forwarding to let the request go through to your K-PACS server.

Regards,
    Andreas

• thanks for getting back so quickly.....

i was afraid of that situation. so, basically, as i have described my situation (and not being able to do a port forward), i'm kind of stuck trying to get images off dicomserver.co.uk, right?

thanks for the info.

pbt.

• Yes, basically as long as the computer that your K-PACS is running on has a intranet IP you will need to implement forwarding. If you have a computer with a unique internet IP then retrieving images would work without forwarding.

Example:

your PC has an IP provided by your routers DHCP, e.g. 192.168.1.2
    your Router is known to the internet with an IP given to it by your internet provider.
    Medical Connections server will only see the routers IP and tries to c-store to this IP at port 104.
    The router receives the request but does not know that it has to route the request to 192.168.1.2

Regards,
    Andreas

• Hi Andreas,

Here's what the guy from the DICOMSERVER site sent me.

The original idea of C-MOVE was a ??????third party copy?????? ??????? A asks B to send a copy to C, but 99.9% of the time A and C are the same????????????.it still does though behave AS IF they were separate, hence the need for a separate B->C association. C-GET is A asking B to send it a copy over the original association (more like http ??????? and hence firewall/NAT/DHCP friendly)

with the current state of networks and computers, doesn't it seem like this is a possible solution (C-GET)?

pbt.

• Andreas,

Just as an additional FYI, I've tried to talk to our IT department and they are very security conscious and won't do a port forward even for a short test. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's in this situation.

thanks,

pbt.

• c-get might work in this situation because c-find does but as I said before, c-get is not implemented. The problem is that there are rarly any archives to test against that support c-get (except for the medical connection service)
    Even the reference implementations like OFFIS DCMTK do not really support c-get.

Regards,
    Andreas

• i asked our IT if we could put the app on a PC in a DMZ and they said we don't have a DMZ. apparently, we only have the connection through the router (1 "valid" IP address). IT won't open any ports without a federal court order.

given the situation and configuration, any thoughts/suggestions on how to get a DICOM transfer to work?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!