Migration recommendation

• Hi all, in my consulting work it is amazing how I keep finding clinics using Conquest as either their primary PACS or a backup PACS. Kuddos to Marcel!

I have a small hospital using Conquest on an OLD 32bit XP workstation, using SQL 2005 Express with 4 years of studies on it (about 1 T). I want to move it to a beefier environment. They have a 64 bit Windows 2008 server with plenty of space and RAM.

1) Reviewing past posts, it appears that there is somewhat limited support for running a native 64bit client. Should I just use the 32bit client in the 64bit OS, or is it better to go 64bit all the way?
    2) I don't really like SQL Express, but is it more of a headache to switch to something like mySQL than it is worth? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks! -Scott

• Hi Scott,

We use Mysql for most our 'small' servers, and I have used the 64 bit mysql version without problems using the drivers delivered with in the conquest install, although I have not tested the latest mysql edition (we use xampp 1.7.3 with mysql 5.1.44). I would say, just make a test setup and see what happens. I am a bit worried about some issues detected with the new jpeg (leak) and jpeg2000 (multithreaded issues) in 1.4.16, but in our setup 1.4.16 is stable. For sporadic use, it may be sufficient to switch the internal jpeg code off.

Marcel

• I just migrated to new expanded storage (6x2TB sata hdd's - raid6 - only ~7-8TB real space) with 2003 x64 server. I use 64bit mysql (5.5.11) - CQ is working fine.

I also use jpeg2k compression (lossless) with ntfs-folder compression, which gives me maximum savings of my storage.
    My MR studies are compressing well - for example (size: oryg-jpeg2k-ntfs) study: 360MB--> 177 MB --> 117 MB
    <-- occupied on disk.

Thanks to Marcel this is most advanced pacs server in the world.

Regards

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!