Support for DICOM Narratives

• Marcel

I scanned through the database and didn't find how narratives would be stored for the result images? For example, Radiology department has sent the MRI of ankle with some narrative describing the details of the MRI. We have a requirement where the result can have just an image or image + narrative.

What do you think, how should we go about this requirement?

• Narratives are just plain text that may be associated with the DICOM Image. As part of our "meaning full use 2" certification here in USA, we have the following requirement:
    "Image results. Electronically indicate to a user the availability of a patient’s images and narrative interpretations (relating to the radiographic or other diagnostic test(s)) and enable electronic access to such images and narrative interpretations."

I am not very sure how the narratives are entered by the radiologists.. whether they come part of DICOM object itself or as a separate entity along with DICOM Image. But, somehow, we need to know this image has this associated narrative. So I was thinkingit would be stored with the image in the database and when we will generate the export HL7, we will get the narrative for the image and send it to the EHR software to display. This will really be a great feature for those EHRs specially in USA that use Conquest as their PACS system to pass certifiaction.

As you said if it is part of DICOM object - the server can handle them. How? Do we need some changes or it is already avaialble? Which column in the database should we use? If not, then how to do it? I know, I have not been of any help in answering your question if it is part of DICOM object or not.

The following document DICOM Information Object Defination - http://medical.nema.org/Dicom/2011/11_03pu.pdf shows some reference of Narrative text but I was not very clear if it is really part of DICOM object or not.

• Hi,

typically text (a radiologists report) is entered as structured report (SR object) associated with a DICOM image or series. Conquest will store anything dumbly, but it has to be encapsulated in a dicom object.

Marcel

• That makes sense. Ok, if it is encapsulated in a dicom object then it will be stored in the database. Any idea which table and column in the database? And, where can I check for the structure of the Dicom Object and the mappings?

• Hi,

The database columns are preset through dicom.sql. I.e., the same columns are saved for any object. Unfortunately you cannot read sequences (arrays). So you cannot add anything to the database. Scripts can read anything though and you can write handlers for any incoming object.

Marcel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!