Set-up for remote interpretation

• Hi,

Happy holidays to everybody.

I am sure, many of you have set this up before. I am a newbie and need help. I am a solo radiologist and need to send overflow studies or work during vacation to a remote site for a remote radiologist to read. How do I set up the dicom.ini on the local conquest installation and conquest on the remote server? Also, are there any firewall issues or security issues that I need to take care of?

Thank you.

P. Patwari

• Hi,

you can send studies manually, or use a so called "exportconverter" to automatically send incoming data to a second server. That is easy, samples of the setup can be found in the manual. The best way is to setup a second server on a laptop or so, to test your config out.

To traverse the internet, you would have to open up a firewall to the DICOM port used. However, the communication would be absolutely unsafe (patient data is clear text). To be safe you would have to use a virtual private network. However, I have no experience at all with this, so I cannot really help you there.

I have used putty (secure shell) for port forwarding.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
    Here is a an example that could be easily adjusted to conquest (just other port numbers):

http://www.tradebit.com/channe…-with-putty-samba-tunnel/
    I also found some free ssh servers (freesshd was unstable, openssh for windows works fine):

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/
    These posts should allow you to build a safe private network.

Marcel

• Hi,

I experimented a bit setting up a virtual private network between my neighbours and me:

Suppose you have installed openssh for windows on your home machine. Make sure the service runs (please read the documentation on openssh for windows).

From the remote machine you should then be able to open a ssh connection using putty. If necessary, you have to open up your firewall to allow SSH connection (default port 22). I use another port, which can be set in etc\sshdconfig and in the putty user interface.

Once you have that you should configure putty (on the REMOTE machine) as follows; here I assume you use port 5678 for your conquest servers:

connection - ssh - tunnels

Code
    L6000 localhost:5678R6000 localhost:5678

and then save your session, and restart the SSH connection.

This will forward any data sent to port 6000 on the REMOTE machine (L6000 = local on the REMOTE machine) to port 5678 on localhost on the HOME machine (first line). Also this will forward any data sent to port 6000 on the HOME machine (R6000 = remote on the REMOTE machine = HOME machine) to port 5678 on localhost on the REMOTE machine (second line). The data is encrypted, and this will only work as long as the SSH connection (password protected) is open.

Now setup acrnema.map in the HOME machine as follows:

Code
    HOME 127.0.0.1 5678 unREMOTE 127.0.0.1 6000 un

And setup acrnema.map in the REMOTE machine as follows:

Code
    HOME 127.0.0.1 6000 un
    REMOTE 127.0.0.1 5678 un

Now you should have full DICOM connectivity between the two servers, in both ways.

Hope this helps,

Marcel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!