HL7 Question

• I have one quick question regarding the loadHL7 feature of dgate.exe

if I were to add another table to my database (ie. "Reports")

and edit the dicom.sql file accordingly, is there any reason why if I were to load an HL7 ORU message with dgate.exe that it wouldnt be able populate the database with the fields from the .hl7 file that I have mapped in dicom.sql ?

I have not actually tried yet, I just don't want to go through all the effort if dgate can't read all of the HL7 ORU message.

Thanks,

--Jason

• Hi Jason,

dgate is hardcoded to put HL7 into the worklist database. Why would you want to add another database anyway? It will not be queryable (and it will not be created either) because these operations are hardcoded to certain databases.

To create a HL7 to database converter you should just install another server and misuse the worklist database.

Marcel

• just to make sure I'm on the same page
    if I run another instance of conquest and mis-use the worklist table, and edit dicom.sql
    I should be able to store the OBX.5 in whatever field I want, like say "SchedPSDescription"
    { 0x0040, 0x0007, "SchedPSDescription", 64, SQL_C_CHAR, DT_STR, "OBX.5" },

this way I can create a web page that reads the database and displays the results I want, in this case a formatted report.

(should this work?) :-)

Thanks,

--Jason

• Hi,

Yes, I believe this should work. You may have to script your own web page though. The default worklist lister has only a few hardcoded entries. The worklist entry form and edit form use DICOM.SQL and should adapt to your changes.

Marcel

• okay, thats good to know, I just wanted to make sure that it could read that OBX segment of the HL7 message.. (didnt want to go through all of the work if it couldnt)

I understand that I will have to script my own page (I'm using BigG's Conquest Web View A1) and am just adapting it so that I can display reports, and if I can have them saved in to a SQL database, it would be easy to format and display the data if sent from a HIS to conquest) (I'm accepting the HL7 messages with a LLP listener that dumps to a file and calls dgate to load it in to conquest)

hopefuly this project works like I think it will in my head. :-)

thanks a bunch Marcel!

--Jason

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!