Recommended Configuration

• I am looking at using Conquest as a means of storing a second copy of my images on disk. My current PACS is storing my images to disk and backing up to LTO tape. I have decided I would like to keep a second disk copy as restoring from tape is a very long process. So my thought is to setup a conquest server and autoroute all studies from our PACS to the conquest server.

We currently have just under 10,000,000 images archived, so I know this will take a long time to get the initial data sent over to the conquest server, but once done with the initial snapshot I think this should work well.

My question is simply what would the users here recommend as a configuration for this. I have no problem using windows or linux. I am also familiar with MS-SQL, MySQL and Postgresql. My intention is to setup several large RAIDs (approx. 3 TB per volume). I have not looked in depth into how conquest stores files in the file system yet, but I am assuming that I can redirect the storage to a new path as each one of my volumes fills up. In any case given this project, which would be best, Windows or Linux? MySQL, postgresql or MS-SQL? Or am I missing the boat entirely.

Thanks in advance.

Neal.

• Hi,

The largest systems (like ours) run windows and MS-SQL which is very stable - but mind backing up the database to protect against disk loss. However, Mysql runs fine too on windows. The linux version has no complete mysql support yet, although I think some users got it to work. Also the lack of a GUI on linux makes it more work. PostgresSQL is too slow to my liking.

Marcel

• Hi
    I would go for a server running Windows Server 2003 (64bit ?) and MySQL or MS SQL.
    We are currently using MySQL and it is running fine, except some random "could not connect to databse issues" - but this is probably because we are also using the server to render and burn patient disc.
    As for the drive config, conquest can be set to use multiple MAG Devices (paths) which can be located on numerous discs, and will be filled up one after another - so there is no need for repointing when the volume fills up.
    On the other side you could simply build a RAID6 volume of 10-18TB or more, depending on whether you go for a server tower or rack, this giving you redundancy over two drives at a time. If you then configure 1 or more hot spare drives you should be ok I think ;-).
    To have a faster system when having many images it is usefull to have the database file on a fast disc with 10 or 15000rpm and lots of RAM - with RAM prices at an all time low why not go for 8GB or 16GB :-)
    The storage path can be configured pretty much the way you like, we are using something like this: /Archive/modality/year/studyUID
    greetz

• Hi,

there is no need for 64 bit yet: the server software is just plain 32 bits.

There is an known issue however of some 2003 machines with MS sql server 2005 giving a secure socket layer error: the delphi GUI application then cannot connect to the sql server.

The MYSQL issue you mentioned may be related to the registry settings reported earlier. The version 1.4.13beta automatically sets the right registry setting.

Marcel

• @ Marcel:
    64bit: I know that ther server SW is only 32bit. It got the idea cause of the mysql process. When the server is runngin such a huge DB it could make sense to keep as many tables in mem. as possible - and in 32bit systems there is a max with about 3,25GB im Ram with PAE enabled - thats how I got the idea

MySQL issue: the registry patch is enabled. I am very sure that it has something to do with the system beeing overloaded for a few seconds.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!