dgate running on Apple OSX (Darwin), G4 32 bit big endian

• I have been able to compile (without warnings) and run dgate on an Apple Mac G4 (32 bit, big endian, Darwin unix (a type of bsd)). All the changes I made were done with defines , and with ifndef, ifdef, and else, as to not effect the original code. I would like send you the changed files along with a change file for you to look at. I would like to merge my changes with your code and make it easier to keep both current and to let others work on it too. I'm now working on the interface. Let me Know.

Bruce

• Bitsltd,

Do I understand that you can get the command line dgate to run on BSD? Or are there Apple specific extensions on BSD that are particular to your work?

The reason I am asking is that I was wondering if you are able (and want to) have this available for a generic BSD system (ie FreeBSD, Net or OpenBSD)

BSD variants seem to like RAID configurations better than Linux "out of the box" so to speak.

As I have said before, I am not a programmer, just a fairly competent user that can get things installed and working. (Especially when I RTFM)

I figure if I can get things installed, configured and running then anyone can.

Cheers

• I built it on an Apple, however used only the Unix headers, not the Apple ones. The big changes for BSD was the way pipes were handled. The big changes for Apple was endian. With the right command line, it should build. I used -DDARWIN to tell it that it was an Apple build. Only Apple macro I used was to set the endian, #if "__BIG_ENDIAN__" and "#if __LITTLE_ENDIAN__" . Apples use a Power PC or an Intel, my changes make it so it should build on both by using the macros. Right now -DDARWIN defines UNIX, if you want, I can change -DDARWIN to -DBSD, and have -DDARWIN define both UNIX and BSD so my endian stuff will still work. If you build on a PC or any little endian system, the endian will default correctly, if not you will have to set it with NATIVE_ENDIAN = 2(big). I think a BSD build would be great, I can make the changes and send you the changes so you can build and test it.

Bruce
    bruce.barton@bitsltd.net
    :)

• Bruce,

That would be GREAT! :-)

I'll break it and let you know how I did it... :-0

I am in the process of getting a new Raid Controller. I need to get one that will work with BSD with Raid 6 and some cache. My problem with BSD at the moment is that it doesn't like my USB drive. Sigh.. Work around planned, but it may take awhile.

Look forward to seeing BSD install.

Matt

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!