DICOM with custom ids

• Hi everyone!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm new to working with DICOM and could use some guidance. I am developing a software that allows users to order imaging exams through the software and receive results once they're ready.

From what I understand, I need to create a connector that acts as Storage + MWL + MPPS SCP, which communicates with modalities to provide ordered exams (via MWL), update order status (via MPPS), and deliver imaging files (via Storage).

My current challenge is figuring out how to associate the received data from modalities with the corresponding orders in the system. Specifically, I need to know how to include the Order ID with each communication from the modality to the SCP.

I've explored DICOM tags like accession number and study instance ID, but I'm not sure if they're suitable for this purpose. The order id is an alphanumeric string, not a DICOM UID. Shall I use private tags to store the Order ID? If a modality receives a private tag from a worklist item, will it retain and return it in MPPS?

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a modality at the moment to test this. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!