Issue with Traditional Chinese Characters Rendering as Gibberish in Conquest

• Hello Marcelvanherk,

Firstly, I want to express my deep appreciation for Conquest, it's an incredible software and has been a critical part of my research for a long time.

I am reaching out because of an issue related to my language settings, which are set to Traditional Chinese. I am currently looking to onboard my colleagues to use Conquest as well and have integrated it with OHIF for that purpose.

While I was using Conquest on my own, I didn't pay much attention to the issue that Traditional Chinese characters would render as gibberish. It didn't matter much as I could always use the Patient ID for searches. However, in OHIF, this gibberish appears quite conspicuously and at times when we want to use the Patient Name for searching, it causes issues due to the rendering problem.

I have opened the conquest.db3 file using SQLiteStudio and noticed that the Traditional Chinese characters display normally under the Patient Name section of the DICOMPatients table.

Is there any way or guidance you could provide so that the Traditional Chinese language setting can display correctly? Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you:)

• Hi,

this is a difficult question. Conquest does not touch the contents of e.g. the patientname but does not convert it in any way either. Is there any way you can compare the proper output of a GET of e.g. the patient list and the output Conquest gives in a browser? How is the information encoded in the dicom object? I added an elementary utf8todb and utf8fromdb converter to an from the database but it assumes ISO_IR 100 as coding of the dicom object. This could be added to dicomweb output.

best regards,

Marcel

• Thank you for your response. I have collated the information I found as shown in the table below. However, upon closer comparison, the Chinese characters displayed when directly searching in Conquest appear to differ from those in OHIF. In any case, I've extracted a few comparison tables that I hope will be helpful to you. It would be wonderful if you could assist me in resolving this issue.

SQLiteStudio conquest OHIF
    牛牛 =?? =çç
    =跳跳 =頝唾歲 =跳跳
    咪嚕 ?芸? åªå
  • Hi,

Just found out the DICOM object is already UTF8. Does OHIF display incorrect characters everywhere?

The DICOMWeb interface will pass information from the database (on query) and from the dicom objects (when going into a study). I suspect the latter may be correct, while the former is incorrect.

Marcel

• I found that I can correctly display the Chinese part by using the built-in ohif in Conquest 1.5.0d. I am currently in the process of switching to the 1.5.0d version and using the built-in ohif. Thank you for your assistance. Conquest is the best DICOM SERVER I have ever used.

• Also note that the built-in dicom server is not designed for high loads. So I would like to make sure that the Apache interface also works for Chinese characters. Can you please share your dicom.ini file?

Marcel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!