Anonymizing Pixel data

• I am starting to write up a lua script to block out pixel data (such as patient names on ultrasounds and CT dosage reports) as part of a research project that requires anonymized data. I have successfully gotten single frame images blocked out, but when multi-frame images are sent to Conquest, I get an error message "dgate64.exe has stopped working" message (details below). Conquest logs do not contain any information as to why it crashed.

Here's the lua script that I am running - this is in the VERY early stages. I will eventually research how to create a function with LUA so it's a little less repetitive. I will also eventually need to figure out how to tell the script to change multiple frames on multi-frame files (is there a way to get a count of frames?)... First things first is to figure out why it is crashing when trying to handle multi-frame images. The section of code it's choking on would be the code under the "-- US GE Logiq E9 normal images" comment

Code
    -- Script to anonymize pixels when certain conditions are met--uncomment below print statements (and last line of this document)for debugging--print('------ Anon Pixel script running --------')--print ('Manuf', Data.Manufacturer)--print ('SeriesNum', Data.SeriesNumber)--print ('Modality', Data.Modality)--print ('SeriesDesc', Data.SeriesDescription)--print ('ManufacturerModelNam', Data.ManufacturerModelName)--print ('imagenumber', Data.ImageNumber)--print ('imagedesc', Data.ImageDescription)--print ('InstanceNumber', Data.InstanceNumber)-- Toshiba CT dose pageif Data.Manufacturer == "TOSHIBA" and Data.SeriesNumber == "1000" and Data.Modality == "CT" then print('------ condition for Toshiba dose page met------') for r=0, 300 do for c=0, 511 do setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) end endend-- CT Series named "screen save"if Data.SeriesDescription == "Screen save" then print('------ condition for screen save page met------') for r=0, 63 do for c=300, 511 do setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) end endend-- US GE Logiq E9 Cover Pageif Data.ManufacturerModelName == "LOGIQE9" and Data.InstanceNumber == "0" then print('------ condition for LogicE9 cover page met------') for r=16, 45 do for c=175, 350 do setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) end for c=510, 685 do setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) end for c=830, 950 do setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) end end for r=65, 90 do for c=175, 350 do setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) end for c=510, 685 do setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) end for c=830, 950 do setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) end end for r=110, 140 do for c=510, 685 do setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) end endend-- US GE Logiq E9 normal imagesif Data.ManufacturerModelName == "LOGIQE9" and Data.InstanceNumber ~= "0" then print('------ condition for GE LogiqE9 normal images met------') for r=0, 65 do for c=338, 670 do setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) end endend--print('------ Anon Pixel script stopping --------')

And below is the details on the dgate64.exe crash as reported by windows.

• Hi Joel,

I have tested on multiframe data (this is 1.4.17d?), but not on color data.To speed things up you can best use getrow and setrow or even getimage and setimage. Number of frames comes from Data.NumberOfFrames

Marcel

• I am on 1.4.17d, and haven't found a multi-frame image that hasn't caused a crash yet. Could it be the compression of the image causing the problems? Should I try to make the program change the file to "un" first before trying to modify it. My current code also is setting frame 0 - setpixel(c, r, 0, 0) which works fine for single frame black and white files... do I need to start with frame 1 on multi-frame files?

Also, I'm having trouble identifying some series with "burned in" information. There is useful information in private tags, but I'm unable to figure out how to address private tags within LUA. I tired to do the following as a test. print ('tagtest', Data.00731003) --- That resulted in an error: D:\dicomserver-SQL\lua\BlockPixel1.lua:13: ')' expected near '.00731003'. Is there a way to address a specific "unnamed" or "private" tag?

I tried to figure out the setrow command - the syntax appears to be SetRow(y, frame, table). I tried setrow(1, 1, 0) - which causes dgate to crash. For "table" - would I have to create a table with the correct number of pixels to run this command?

Lastly, I figured out how to create a function - the code below does almost exactly what the one I posted yesterday does, but this one would be a bit easier for others to add to if/when it goes into more of a production mode.

• Yes,

Indeed you need to be at UN for pixel access (known issue).

The table is one you read with getrow. It lists all pixels in the row and you can change part of it and rewrite.

for row=100,200 do
    a = getrow(row, frame)
    sum = 0
    for i=1,100 sum = sum + a[i] end -- average
    for i=1,100 a[i]=sum/100 end -- replace
    setrow(row, frame, a)
    end

Any VR access: Data["0020,000d"].

Marcel

• What is the best way to get the file to "un" before processing? Would I need to set storage on my archive to "un", and run my LUA as an exportconverer (rather than an inportconverter), or is there another way to decompress without requiring my archive to be set to "un"

• I can now block areas in CINE loop objects, and am tweaking the script as needed to block out as much PHI as possible. My major limitation to completely anonymizing data at this point is color frame ultrasound images. As far as I can tell, dgate is trying to do something with the color images, but it fails to actually change the pixels.

Here's my current script which now includes a blockcine funtion. I've been focusing on GE Logic E9 ultrasounds. These are a bit annoying because PHI is "burned in" at different locations for 3 different kinds of images (Cover pages, Regular single frame images, and CINE loop images). Coming up with ways to identify these different types of images was fairly difficult, but this current revision has been successful in every images set from an E9 that I've thrown at it.

• setpixel(row, col, frame, 0, 0, 0) works on color images, and does not seem to adversely affect b/w images... although I think it's actually setpixel (col, row, frame, 0, 0, 0). I'll play with a different model US perhaps one that uses color cine loops to see if I can find anything it doesn't work on. I'll post updated scripts as I find time to research where PHI is "burned in" for different models of machines.

As far as speed, it seems conquest is keeping up fine, even if I queue multiple exams back to back from my PACS. Since I rarely blank a whole row, I don't know that the getrow/setrow would be very useful at this point.

• Great!

I timed a few microseconds per setpixel. A nice trick would be to replace the block you are masking by its mean pixel value, it would look nicer than just setting it to black.

Thanks for the script.

Marcel

• A lot of the work is discovering what pixels need to be covered up - that work won't be lost. If the functions that I built are improved upon (such as your "neat trick" mentioned above") I wouldn't be upset about that at all. I don't know if building a function directly into dgate.exe to anonymise a "block" or range of pixels would be appropriate/faster than doing it in LUA.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!