K-PACS image quality

• When looking at images submitted from a GE OEC 9900 to a Conquest server, the quality is poor. It seems that the contrast, shading, and background are much darker than the submitted image. If i view the image at the server with the conquest image viewer, the images appear as they do on the 9900's. Is there settings in the K-PACS to fix this? The K-PACS is setting on the same physical LAN as the Conquest server.

Additionally for any Conquest experts. I am unable to open the image viewer on the Conquest server. I receive an error "The DICOM server is not running (in this directory)", anyone seen this?

Thanks,

• The internal viewer of Conquest does not read out standard window and level values from the DICOM header but applies mean values only. If Conquest's display is more appropriate to the original one than that of K-PACS, there must be some incorrect values in the dicom header.

Could you send me an example image that I can examine the behaviour by myself?

regards,
    Andreas

• Additionally, i installed conquest on another workstation and copied the data from the main conquest to a 2nd one. The images at the 2nd one looked ok on the conquest browser, but when i open the K-pacs integrated viewer in conquest the images look bad as well. I don't know if conquest use k-pacs for it's builtin viewer, but i'm getting the same symptoms as with k-pacs workstation connecting to conquest.

• Thank's, I received the images and found the problem:

the Pixel Representation attribute in the dicom header claims unsigned values although they are signed!
    I added a workaround that checks for lowest and highest pixel value and determines representation by itself. This seems to be saver than trusting the header.

The next version of K-PACS will display your images correctly.

regards and thank's for helping,

Andreas

• Follow up to tblshooting this. It seems the GE OEC 9900s send 16bit pixel data where as previous versions send 12bit. We now have a 9800 that k-pacs displays properly. We would be highly motivated for a fix, in this or the commercial version. Especially considering the cost of eFilm that seems to support the 16bit data.

Regards,

• Well, not the 16bits are the problem because K-PACS supports 16bit images but there are several ways of how the pixeldata can be stored.
    Try the upcomming iQ-View version V1.2.2 (release end of this week) and see if it solves the problem. You can select "autocontrast" to improve the contrast for this images.

regards,
    Andreas

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!