Cannot Save Compressed Images

• My K-Pacs seems to always decompress. It happens whether I push from Conquest or pull from filesystem or Conquest. I need to import compressed images (JPEG lossless) or compress them in KPacs.
    Any help? (I have tried the various suggested checkboxes and the -nd parameter.) No matter what, all files in the Imagebox are full-size.

Thanks
    Louis

• Dear lpugliese

K-PACS does only provide very limited support for transfer syntaxes. To import and store JPEG lossless data you need to do the following:

1. For import via DICOM: Open the Server Admin Tool. Stop the K-PACS server. In section "Dicom configuration" activate the setting "Prefer JPeg lossless". As additional parameter set "-nd". Afterwards restart the server. Now you can send images with transfer syntax JPEG lossless to K-PACS and they will be stored that way.

2. For import via Filesystem: Close K-PACS, open the k-pacs.ini and set the parameter "NoTSConvertionOnImport=" from default value "0" to value "1". Save the settings and restart K-PACS. All images will now be stored with the same transfer syntax that they already have. There is no option, though, to change the TS during import.

WARNING: K-PACS will not always be able to display compressed images in the viewer. The display may be corrupted or no images may be displayed at all. To ensure a correct image display, use the default setting for decompression.

For a much enhanced handling of the different transfer syntaxes in both communication and display as well as lots of further useful features, please use our professional software, the radiological reading station iQ-VIEW.

• Thank You- This works well. One more question...

Is K Pacs able to compress images that are imported from uncompressed images, and how would I do that?

• Dear Louis

No, there are not that many options for compression manipulation in K-PACS. Only iQ-VIEW allows you to accept images via DICOM and store them in a different format. Or to send DICOM images stored in its local imagebox with a specific compression (transfer syntax) to another DICOM node.

Another very nice alternative is our product DICOMReader. It lets you read in DICOM data from directories and media and allows you to send this data to specified DICOM stations, e.g. ConQuest or K-PACS. For every station you can define which transfer syntax you would like to use. The read-in data will then be converted and send to the selected DICOM station.

Check it out! Trial versions of both iQ-VIEW and DICOMReader are available in the Download Center of our website.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!