Transfer of JPEG lossless compressed DICOM images

• When I try to transfer JPEG lossless compressed DICOM images from K-PACS to, let's say, the OFFIS DICOM Toolkit StoreSCP application, it does not work. It works, however, when I send the same DICOM images from E-Film or with the DCM4CHE dcmsnd tool.

This is what the debug output at the StoreSCP looks like:

Code
    Association ReceivedParameters:Our Implementation Class UID: 1.2.276.0.7230010.3.0.3.5.4Our Implementation Version Name: OFFIS_DCMTK_354Their Implementation Class UID: 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.0.1.0Their Implementation Version Name: C-PACSApplication Context Name: 1.2.840.10008.3.1.1.1Calling Application Name: KP_TWEETYCalled Application Name: TESTAET_TWEETYResponding Application Name:Our Max PDU Receive Size: 16384Their Max PDU Receive Size: 16384Presentation Contexts: Context ID: 1 (Proposed) Abstract Syntax: =MRImageStorage Proposed SCP/SCU Role: Default Accepted SCP/SCU Role: Default Proposed Transfer Syntax(es): =LittleEndianExplicit Context ID: 3 (Proposed) Abstract Syntax: =MRImageStorage Proposed SCP/SCU Role: Default Accepted SCP/SCU Role: Default Proposed Transfer Syntax(es): =BigEndianExplicit =LittleEndianImplicitRequested Extended Negotiation: noneAccepted Extended Negotiation: nonecalled AE: TESTAET_TWEETYcalling AE: KP_TWEETYConstructing Associate AC PDUAssociation Acknowledged (Max Send PDV: 16372)Our Implementation Class UID: 1.2.276.0.7230010.3.0.3.5.4Our Implementation Version Name: OFFIS_DCMTK_354Their Implementation Class UID: 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7.0.1.0Their Implementation Version Name: C-PACSApplication Context Name: 1.2.840.10008.3.1.1.1Calling Application Name: KP_TWEETYCalled Application Name: TESTAET_TWEETYResponding Application Name: TESTAET_TWEETYOur Max PDU Receive Size: 16384Their Max PDU Receive Size: 16384Presentation Contexts: Context ID: 1 (Accepted) Abstract Syntax: =MRImageStorage Proposed SCP/SCU Role: Default Accepted SCP/SCU Role: Default Accepted Transfer Syntax: =LittleEndianExplicit Context ID: 3 (Accepted) Abstract Syntax: =MRImageStorage Proposed SCP/SCU Role: Default Accepted SCP/SCU Role: Default Accepted Transfer Syntax: =BigEndianExplicitRequested Extended Negotiation: noneAccepted Extended Negotiation: noneDIMSE receiveCommandAssociation Aborted

It is my understanding that the K-PACS StoreSCU is a modified version of the OFFIS DICOM Toolkit StoreSCU, so I did some tests with the OFFIS version and came to this conclusion:

The reason for this problem seems to be that the StoreSCU does not propose a JPEG lossless transfer syntax to the StoreSCP by default, but only uncompressed transfer syntaxes (LittleEndianExplicit, BigEndianExplicit) and is then unable to convert the JPEG lossless transfer syntax to the uncompressed transfer syntax.

This is the debug output of the OFFIS StorageSCU:

Code
    Sending file: Z:\JPEGlossless.dcm
    Transfer: JPEGLossless:Non-hierarchical-1stOrderPrediction -> LittleEndianExplicit
    Store SCU RQ: MsgID 1, (MR)
    XMIT:DIMSE Warning: (KP_TWEETY,TESTAET_TWEETY): sendMessage: unable to convert dataset
    from 'JPEG Lossless, Non-hierarchical, 1st Order Prediction' transfer syntax to 'LittleEndianExplicit'.
    storescu: Store Failed, file: Z:\JPEGlossless.dcm:
    0006:020e DIMSE Failed to send message

The solution I found was either to specify the --propose-lossless parameter, or to use a config file for StoreSCU, like the one which comes with the OFFIS DCMTK binary distribution.

Is this also the reason for the K-PACS problem and can it be solved somehow?

• You are right, K-PACS / iQ-View currently can only send uncompressed images, although you can import Jpeg and RLE compressed images into the local database via "filesystem".

On my to-do list a decompression routine before c-send (and CD-burning). Proposing Jpeg transfersyntax would work as well but will fail if the remote AE does not support it.

regards,
    Andreas

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!