Compression problem - file size: 2K - help please

• Conquest: 1.4.16 Beta 5

I have been filling up a new conquest server of ours from an older archive. I have been using dcmsnd from dcm4chee and placing the .dcm files in to a folder that is 'watched'. All of the images that I have sent to conquest via dcmsnd have already been compressed from our old archive (all CR from the old archive have already been compressed as: Lossy Q90).

-- I have attached a copy of my dicom.ini below into code

So, when I send conquest a CR that is compressed @ Lossy Q90 the file size goes from around 1mb to 2K & it is also being J2 compressed by conquest. I have lots and lots of images that have turned out this way. When I retrieve a study the file size is still 2K and it tells me "image decompression error" & I have my workstation AE setup in the destinations as 'UN'. If I view it with the K-pacs viewer, it just displays a black image. Is there anyway to decompress these images to make them all useful again?

Thank you

• Hi,

This seems like a serious bug in the novel internal JPEG compression code. I will PM you may mail adress to ask for some samples. To fix it for now, set UseBuiltInJPEG to 0 and add dcmdjpg and dcmcjpg to the same folder as dgate.exe.

Marcel

• Marcel,

thanks for replying. I have changed the dicom.ini file setting, but the DCMDJPEG.TXT AND DCMCJPEG.TXT are already in the same folder as dgate64.exe (running x64). They are dated 12/20/2005, should there be a new copy of them?

Thanks

• Hi,

With:

Code
    UseBuiltInJPEG = 1DroppedFileCompression = j2IncomingCompression = j2ArchiveCompression = as

It seems to work for me. Can you show me a high level debug log when you drop a file?

This is an excerpt:

Code
    [SGALINGALE] 9999,0400 74 UN "addimagefile:C:\\Users\\M.v.Herk\\Desktop\\compressed Q90 (from old archive.0"
    [SGALINGALE] JPEG decompress started.
    [SGALINGALE] JPEG decompress time 0 seconds.
    [SGALINGALE] JPEG compress started.
    [SGALINGALE] JPEG Lossles
    [SGALINGALE] , unbuffered dat
    [SGALINGALE] , H = 2500, W = 2048, Bits = 12 in 16, Frames = 1,
    [SGALINGALE] color = MONOCHROME2
    [SGALINGALE] JPEG compress time 0 seconds.
    [SGALINGALE] [recompress]: recompressed with mode = j2 (strip=0)

After this the image is OK. I use 1.4.16beta5, 64 bits.

Marcel

• Okay- on my GUI... it is labeled 1.4.16beta4 on the titlel bar, but it was in beta5 zip file that I got a week back or so. When I drag and drop I get:

1) I/O error 32 - (with just an "OK" button to press) and then the logs just tell me: -------------------Adding image files to server------------------- and then nothing.

2) I am also seeing a lot of "***Failed to create process: dcmcjpeg.exe - error 2" after I crank up my debug logging.

3) Also I can't see any logging on the "Server status" tab until I have the 'debug log' check box checked. Normally there is something there at all times.

Where can I get an updated copy of 1.4.16beta5 GUI?

I will download another copy soon and see what is inside.

Thanks

• Hi,

the versions are OK: the GUI is of beta4, the exe of beta5. The dcmdjpeg is called if the internal compressor is not on, but you ini file shows it is - strange. In also do not understand the I/O error 32: is a temp folder write protected or so? Or are there maybe multiple instances of the GUI running?

Marcel

• Marcel,

I think I updated beta 5 with beta 4 or beta2? So, I got a new copy of 1.4.16 beta and updated it with beta5 and went from there.

--copy of my dicom.ini

--now withthe above dicom.ini the file size of my Lossy Q90 images are not touched. I just wanted conquest to leave the filesize of all of the images it receives from the AE title 'DCMSND' as-is. In the above dicom.ini file, I have changed the incomingcompression from 'j2' to 'as' & then added the importconverter rules that you see above. Now though I notice that new US studies that are coming over from the modality are being stored at a file size of 2K again and they are not viewable after they are imported from conquest. An error message reads: "****[compressJPEGL]: Could not find the image data" as the US study is being received from the modality. This even happened after I changed my Importconverter rules to what you see above in my dicom.ini. The rule reads "if the study equal 'US' compress it 'as-is'.

Any ideas & thank you for your help!

• Hm,

it starts to look like an issue with the "compression" import converter. Can you remove these and see what happens. You can also try compression uj, which will leave all jpeg compressed data as is by default and uncompress everything else.

I will try to reproduce your issue.

Marcel

• Marcel,

All of the US studies were coming from the AE title 'AMROUTE' as you see in the importconverter rules. It was hitting that and compressing them as 'j2', all is good now. So, now I am forced to set the imcomingcompression back to 'j2' from 'as' and when I send my lossy compressed images to conquest now, it looks like conquest decompresses them and then recompresses them as 'j2'. Even if I change the calling AE title from 'DCMSND' to 'DCMSND~is' it somehow ignores it and forces 'j2' compression on them.

Sorry for all of the questions/troubles...

and thank you for your help!

• Pacsdude:

All the DCMSND studies are "CR"?

ImportConverter0 = ifequal "%V0008,0060", "CR"; compression as
    Importconverter1 = ifequal "%V0008,0060", "US"; compression as

though I suppose %m for modality works. I have always just preferred to use Dicom Tags.

I always use acrenema.map to set compression by AE.

"DecompressNon16BitsJpeg = 1" are your US images 16bit Jpegs coming in? If not, would not the Conquest Decompress then recompress them?

Storage is so chesap these days, bleh 2TB SAS drives for ~$300 US each... Why compress at all on the archive? (Well, for smaller facilities anyway) and just use as exportconverter to remote destinations?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!