How to install service on Windows7?

• Hi,

we're nicely running Conquest on XP machines and have just made an installation on a Windows7 machine. Everything works fine, if operated under a user account, but the installation as a service fails. Any hints on how get it running as a service on Win7?

Best regards, Alexander

• Hi Marcel!
    I'm getting the same problem on Win7 Ultimate on a Virtual Machine (tried the VM before upgrading the PC that now runs on XP).
    Tried from command line what You suggest and the result is:

service dgate install error (2)
    access denied

I'm administrator user and if I run from GUI seems to work, but I need to register the service, so It can start with Windows.

Let me know how to do this.

Best Regards,
    Cirollo

• Hm,

I do not have a windows 7 machine to play with. You might try to run the server in XP compatibiliy mode and then try to install it as a service. Are you THE administrator of this machine?

I also found this "You have to disable User Account Control (UAC) settings to be able to install ....service. Go to: “Control Panel > System and Security > Change User Account Control settings” and move the bar to “Never Notify”, you need to restart Windows 7 to make the settings effective."

Marcel

• running the server in XP SP2 compatibility mode seems to work.
    but I install the service with a setup without opening the GUI. Any suggestion on how to do this on win7?

PS you can try win 7 for free for 30 days on a virtual machine, download microsoft virtual pc 2007, is free.

Regards,
    cirollo

• dear Marcel,
    tried yesterday on another pc with win7 home premium.
    No way to install service, when tried conquest freezes and should be closed with task manager.
    Tried to switch off mocrosoft UAC and run in XP Sp2 compatibility mode.
    what could be happened?

let me know if you have any ideas, it's difficult now to find xp computers!

• Hi,

I just tested it on a borrowed windows 7 machine: To (un)install conquest as service on windows 7 you have to start conquest as administrator (right click the icon and select 'run as administrator'). If not, the server GUI crashes during installation (I added a bug report) and deinstallation has no effect. Hope this solves the issue for now.

Marcel

• Also,

on vista or windows7, an uninstall service (as administrator) still fails to kill dgate. Kill it from the task manager, or type dgate --quit: from the command line, and then push "kill and restart the server". Will be fixed in next release.

Marcel

• Hi Marcel!

we're experiencing the following problem:

on some win 7 machine, the service (now called conquestsrv and not dgate.exe or dgate64.exe, why?) seems to be installed (following your suggestions) but no images can be retrieved. If you leave the conquest GUI open (launching it from conquest.exe) it works!

why?

Ps also on a XP machine we're having the same problems.

let me know

regards, Ciro

• 1. Even if you are logged in on an administrator account, when installing has issues on Windows 7 in general (as mentioned above) you often have to right click and "run as administrator" for it to work. It might work to right-click and run command line as administrator if you wanted to install it that way.

2. Services can have permission issues like the above, you may want to set up the compatability tab for the actual exe files (dgateserv.exe and possibly dgate.exe) to always run as administrator (right-click, compatability, change compatability for all users, enable run as admin and probably run as "xp sp 3" also).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!