Database Size

• i did searching and my keywords were too common. i went through all of this forum and have come to the conclusion that k-pacs database is hardware limited. So if i have 6 TB then my database is 6 TB.

• Dear Lancefman

In theory, yes, the database size is hardware-limited. However, only a maximum of 20.000 studies will be displayed in the study browser by default.

In general a radiological reading stations (such as iQ-VIEW) or a free DICOM viewer (such as K-PACS) should only keep local those studies that currently need to be read, viewed and/or processed. The central archive should always be a PACS system and not a workstation. Only a PACS is structured to keep such an amount of studies and distribute it amongst the workstations. PACS systems also offer backup options to safeguard your data, something that you won't find with K-PACS.

The more studies the K-PACS database contains the slower the system will get. Opening of the application, database searches, study ordering, etc. will take a much longer time if you have thousands of studies in the local imagebox.

I would highly recommend to you to search for a PACS to keep such an amount of data. Check out our solution iQ-WEBX for a PACS certified as medical device according to CE/FDA to use it in a diagnostic environment or check out the freeware ConQuest, if you are in an academic or research environment and do not use the data diagnostically.

• Thank you Miss Sabine Stridde.

I work at a document storage company and right now we are digitally backing up a couple of our clients x-ray film collections. Our company is new to this and I am the one trying to learn how everything is going together. Example teleradiology software (clinical express 5.0) to mock pacs server / temp holding spot (KPACS) then to clients choice of storage (unknown yet). Our issue right now is that Clinical Express 5.0 database size is capped at 10GB (uncompressed scans), and that the database can not be moved, imported, or exported. Only import allowed is from Dicom cd/dvd's. From what I have come to understand is that each program that does the scanning or digitizing of the x-rays produces a proprietary file naming structure or convention. So what i am trying to achieve or gain is that I can send the scanned films from Clinical Express to KPACS to hold till the client figures out what they want to do, so I can continue to scan the inventory size down. Once they deliver their server / system to us i can send the KPACS database to the clients server with ease. I am just hoping that there will be no issues sending the database from KPACS to the clients server / system.

Thanks Again.
    Lance

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!