Not displaying everything and slow

• Hi,

I have 2 questions
    We are using kPacs Server and kPacs workstation.

1) selecting the drive, to select the server, I have the feling that the worsktation is downloading .. instead of ( I would expect ) downloading only the index database... that sounds to be a very long operation....
    Is that normal ?
    Is there a specific way to add the picture made by the scanner on the each pc, instead of reloading everything ?

2) On some machines, a new scan seems not to make appear new pictures on the list of the workstation. and I am sure that the server got the new one...
    We need to rescan the server every time.. is that normal ?

( I start thinking that we ar not doing the right way.... )

Thanks

• Dear steve76

I must admit that I am unsure what exactly you are doing and what you are doing to achieve.

The KP-Server is only the DICOM SCP component of the K-PACS workstation, responsible for receiving DICOM objects via DICOM transmission. It is not a PACS or separate database. Also keep in mind that the K-PACS imagebox is individual for each K-PACS installation. It is not meant to be a shared database for different K-PACS workstations. If you need a central archiving point, you may want to try ConQuest server.

Are you using the "Filesystem" function to import new images into the local imagebox of K-PACS or are you receiving these new images via DICOM transmission? If you use the "Filesystem" option to read in a lot of studies then this can take some time. During the scanning, K-PACS will parse all data in the specified folder and sub-folders and present the results in the "Filesystem" table. You can then select the studies you really wish to import and click "View". Only the selected studies are imported and loaded into the viewer. If you want to import many studies, it would be recommended to use the option "Just retrieve (don't show) under "Local settings".

Regarding the images not showing up, this can have different reasons:

- If you use one K-PACS database as shared database for different installations, data might not show up automatically, because the respective K-PACS stations will not update a "foreign" database.
      - If using "Filesystem" import and images not showing up, you may have permissions issues in the folder where you put the K-PACS imagebox and/or database.
      - If you are receiving the images via DICOM transmission, the DICOM settings (AET, IP, port) might be incorrect at either or both of the communication partners. Also here, permissions issues can result in images not being stored properly.
      - In case of database corruption, it can also happen that images are received that are actually stored in the K-PACS database already, but are no longer registered for any reason. Such images will not be registered again and will not show up in the study list.
      - Or you might have modified the patient information of a study (using "Modify" function). Now if you load the same study again with the original patient data, it will still show up under the modified patient information. This way you may overlook it.

Solutions:

- Use ONE local imagebox for EACH INDIVIDUAL K-PACS installation - nothing shared.
      - Check the permissions of the folder(s) where the K-PACS imagebox and/or database is stored (K-PACS needs full access to this/these folders).
      - If the database is corrupted (e.g. more study folders in the database folder than studies are listed in the study browser), then perform a database regeneration or start over with a new database.

• Dear Sabine,

Sorry for my delayed answer...

From the scanner, the image is exported via DCOM port. Pictures are stored on the server, where Kpac server is running. Then, a kPACS client is looking at pictures via a file system. but that sounds not to be what we need. if this, is importing each DICOM pictures locally, I will explode all the client machines :-)
    I would prefer, to get a central database and each client is viewing or importing just the picture needed ..
    Now, I just wonder if kPacs is compatible Win7 ?? I have some doubts now....

I will als check the problem of the permission folder...

• Dear steve76

If I understand you correctly, you have tried to use one of the K-PACS Workstations as a central node to provide the database for one or more K-PACS Workstations. Now you try to scan the entire database of the central workstation each time a new image has been received. No wonder this will take long.

K-PACS is not an archive to be used as a central database. K-PACS is a non-diagnostic viewing station that should keep its own database. It sounds like you need some form of PACS, e.g. ConQuest, which you will find in this forum as well. A PACS archives centrally all images and will distribute them amongst the workstations. You can query the PACS from K-PACS using search filters and then retrieve the studies you need via DICOM. Or you can send images from one K-PACS station to the PACS to make the data available for other stations.

Please remember that both K-PACS and ConQuest can only be used in a non-diagnostic environment. For software certified as medical devices according to CE and FDA 510(k), please check out our products iQ-VIEW (radiological reading station) and iQ-WEBX (PACS) at http://www.image-systems.biz.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!