can't launch MS Word files when kpserver.exe is working

• Hi all,

Hope you can help me with this problem (and hope you'll understand me as I'm french)...

I have installed K-Pacs on a Win XP machine with no firewall (sic!), no antivirus(re-sic!), Service pack 1 (re-re-sic!) and IE6 (re-re-re-sic!).

When kpserver.exe has not been launched, I can open my MS word documents wihout any problems (double click on them and they automatically open). But ! When kpserver.exe is working (visible in processes when using Ctrl+Alt+Del) I can't open any MS Word document : it seems it freezes a bit the desktop. But when I kill (or stop) the kpserver.exe process, the Word file I have been double clicking on previously automatically opens.

Any reason for that ?
    I guess some of you would say i need to update the machine, but it has no internet connection where it is located, So i've to find an SP3 CD for windows. Please note that the MS office suite used is the 2000 one (re-re-re-re sic!).

Regards

• I've tried to install KPACS 1.6 on a different and updated XP machine (SP3 + IE7 + AV + FW) but the problem still remains.

So I've tried the previous version 1.0.1 and no problem at all. It then seems to be a server side problem not linked to OS configuration.

Any idea o how to fix this ?

Regards

• Hi again

Have tested 1.6 version on a thirdmachine and the problem remains. But still no problem with 1.0.1.
    So I have transferred pictures I had in 1.6 imagebox and put them in 1.0.1 imagebox. I then launch the regenerate database function and seems to work.
    Is the procedure I used correct ?

• Thanks,
    we already have heard about this behaviour which is probably caused by a COM server lock up.
    Stangely, some machines with XP do not seem to have this problem.
    A bugfixed server version will be released soon.

In the meantime you could do the following: Exchange the KPSERVER.exe file from the old 1.0 version with the 1.6 version. K-PACS should work anyway.

Regards,
    Andreas

• Thanks for your answer,

I was out of office, that's why I haven't reply earlier. We are going to try your solution this morning but I was wondering if you were not a bit wrong :

Exchange the KPSERVER.exe file from the old 1.0 version with the 1.6 versio

Shouldn't we do the opposite ? I mean exchange the 1.6 version with the 1.0 version ? (The goal is to keep the 1.6 GUI and to downgrade the server ?)

Regards

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!