Where is the API?

• Hi,

I have successfully installed the Conquest DICOM server and able to view the image that is already there. Now I want write my own client - preferably a web based one. I want to do this because I need to do some customization of the software.

What is the best possible entry point? Where are the source code for the server so that I can customize it? Where is the API documentation so that I can create a Microsoft ASP.NET based client?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Abhijit

• Hi,

the source code of the server core (c++) is in dgatexxxx.zip and includes the built-in web server
    the source code of the DICOM library (c++) is dicomlibxxx.zip

the server GUI source code is not available

To adjust the web server you need to edit dgate.cpp and recompile. There is no API as such. The command line options of dgate are the supported API used by the web server. The cqdicom.dll is not supported or documented, it is part of the GUI (and only used by the GUI) of which source code is not provided.

Marcel

• The viewer that he has created is pretty nice. I hope he will get a chance to add some more of the kpacs viewer features in the near future but as is it's still superior to a few of the commercial web viewers that I looked at. If you are just wanting or needing to develop your own you can use the existing web client to see pretty easily how to grab images for any other client you want to use. Just pass the dicom images that dgate.exe can serve up (compressed or uncompressed) as the parameter for the image. Query the database to get the dicom info and create your pages with links and then pass the below information in the cgi to retrieve images:

e.g.: (replace yourserver/cgi-bin with the url path to dgate.exe)

Code
    http://yourserver/cgi-bin/dgate.exe?port=5678&address=127.0.0.1&mode=dicom&slice=524478:1.2.840.113619.2.22.288.1.8754.2.1.20080624.194958&dsize=0&compress=j2

As of versoin .14 beta this serves a good file for use with a dicom viewer (.13 seemed to have some oddities in format but that might have been my mime setup on webserver). dsize is the actual image max width/height and for remote vpn connections I use 320 as a low res image. It downloads pretty quick that way.

(j2 being jpeg lossless, un being uncompressed -- that info is in the dicom.ini for web client). You can build your own web client from scratch by interacting directly with the database if you use something like mysql with the native driver or you can parse the dgate.exe cgi pages via something like the PHP wrapper I posted below.

If you use dgate.exe cgi to get the images then the only API you need to figure out is in the URL for parameters and in the database layout (easily accessible by just viewing the database layout or using an admin tool). You will find more info on the command line stuff he mentioned in the PDF manual found in the server zip. You would just need to create the viewer to accept files via http request and read them as jpegs if you want a faster client.

EDIT: There are a few open source viewers out there that you could probably adapt instead of writing it from scratch, and some libraries like he used such as ezdicom already built for activex. I have gotten the Java Viewer to work with the uncompressed dgate.exe images but not with j2 yet. I don't think the source for the conquest web viewer is available, though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!