ImportConverter question

• Hello, I thought I'd post this question since I'm still fairly new to the dicom standard and headers. Is there a way to use the ImportConverter to detect the orientation of the image and possibly flip it using an external program (such as imagemagick, maybe) and update the header to the new orientation? I've been digging around a bunch so far but this seemed like the best bet.

Basically any image that our docs look at they want the Right side of the patient to be on the left side (as if they are looking at them face to face). Depending on the type of scan this is not always true so if I can detect and convert a series on the way in then it would remove the step of having to flip the image in the viewer (which isn't built in yet).

• Hi,

this is not easy, since you need to check ImageOrientationPatient which is a 6-value float, i.e., (sub)string matching will not be sufficient. Only if you know exactly what values this item has when flipping is required, you could do it: but there could be many values. So probably to do it you need a better check for ImageOrientationPatient and an executable that flips and modifies the item.

Marcel

• Well we only have one modality and it seems that ideally for a specific study the ImageOrientationPatient would be the same (unless it gets recalibrated or something, maybe).

On the 2 separate LTD scans I am viewing it shows "-1.0000000\\0.0000000\\0.0000000\\0.0000000\\-0.9396926\\-0.3420201" So if that is a constant I could ideally do something like:
    ImportConverter2 = ifequal "%V0008,0020", "-1.0000000\\0.0000000\\0.0000000\\0.0000000\\-0.9396926\\-0.3420201"; flipimage.exe

In the flip image executable I could hopefully take the 1st and 5th values and reverse the sign to get the desired effect on the headers and then just flip the image.

Or will importconverter call an exe? I only see that option on exportconverter in the manual. Thanks for the response this is a really nice system. If I can just figure out this one last thing I think it will be ideal for our clinic.

• Hi,

no, importconverters cannot start an exe now. I have put it on the wish list:

importconverter: run appname
    this would save the current dicom object; run appname objectname; reload current dicom object

Marcel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!