help with archiving K-pacs

• New guy w/ Kpacs, was wondering how to archive into a 500g drive. Also i was recently using Efilm and i Microsoft access reached its cap in the directory and messed up everything. I just need someone to give me a step by step on how to store everything on my external, much appreciated

• I recommend to use K-PACS only for up to 10000 studies. That might be less than you want to store. In that case check out Conquest (within the forum) and try to use it as PACS. You can still use K-PACS for viewing.

• Quote from Yves Neumann

I recommend to use K-PACS only for up to 10000 studies.

which problems may I encounter if I have more than 10000 studies in K-PACS?
    is there a limitation of the cases thay it can store?

does the same limitation affects iQ-VIEW? please note that I have a regular 2.6 licence and I'm waiting for the 2.7 upgrade after licence renewal.

• Hello,

iQ-VIEW is a diagnostic reading workstation and not meant/ implemented to be used as a pacs. Although you can store more than 10k studies, iQ-VIEW (and presumably K-PACS) will show a maximum of 10k studies as default in the study browser, or any user defined value (see Administration Guide).

This setting is used to guarantee an adequate performance when searching, filtering etc. the database.

• Quote from Erik Virtel

Although you can store more than 10k studies, iQ-VIEW (and presumably K-PACS) will show a maximum of 10k studies as default in the study browser, or any user defined value (see Administration Guide).

This setting is used to guarantee an adequate performance when searching, filtering etc. the database.

So, If i got it right, if I store 11000 cases, the study browser will only show the last 10000
    and to see the list of other 1000 missing cases I will have to play with filters (maybe give a time range for search).

• Yes, that should work.

Since I'm a developer and not an enduser, I'm not dealing with such an amount of data. My experience is that whenever users have such big databases they also do have a lot of junk in it, for example files that are not referenced anymore in the database file but do still persist on the hard drive. After time they are wondering why random studies won't be stored locally when querying a pacs (because these files and folders exist already and thus they will not be registered in the database file).

Best practice is to make use of the overflow management and regenerate/ delete the database from time to time.

• Quote from Erik Virtel

Yes, that should work.

Since I'm a developer and not an enduser, I'm not dealing with such an amount of data. My experience is that whenever users have such big databases they also do have a lot of junk in it, for example files that are not referenced anymore in the database file but do still persist on the hard drive. After time they are wondering why random studies won't be stored locally when querying a pacs (because these files and folders exist already and thus they will not be registered in the database file).

Best practice is to make use of the overflow management and regenerate/ delete the database from time to time.

thanks for reply.
    what exactly is "overflow management" ?

• I will quote from iQ-VIEW's Administration Guide.pdf.

"Overflow management is used to automatically clean the iQ-VIEW imagebox from studies that are no longer needed locally and to keep enough free space on the hard disk used for the local imagebox to allow for new studies to be stored. In addition to automatically deleting the DICOM objects and removing the respective folders and sub-folders, the iQ-VIEW database file (KPStudy.dir) is cleaned from the removed studies so that their entries do no longer populate the study browser’s study list."

If enabled, iQ-VIEW will delete studies older (concerning registration date) than the specified number of days on every start of the application.

• Quote from Erik Virtel

I will quote from iQ-VIEW's Administration Guide.pdf.
    If enabled, iQ-VIEW will delete studies older (concerning registration date) than the specified number of days on every start of the application.

what do you exactly mean with "registration date" ?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!