Running K-PACS on a small network

• Good Morning,

I am a software engineer writing this post on behalf of Hird & Partners Vetinary clinic, as I am helping them with a few IT upgrades and they wish to implement a PACS system of some kind.

My understanding of the situation is as follows:

They already have the equipment (Xray, Ultrasound, MRI) and the procedures in place to use the images taken immediately for the medical needs, what they would like is a system to store these images after they have been produced and used, so they can be archived in case they need to be viewed again for some reason.
    It's a fairly straightforward concept, my suggestion was that they install the K-PACS software to a clean-build server and use this as a file sharing hub to two or three other workstations at the practice that had the same software installed.

Has anybody else run a similar kind of operation? If so, did you find that the K-PACS software was well suited to this?

Many Thanks,
    Mark Scholefield on behalf of Hird & Partners

• I think what you are looking for is a PACS solution (an archive), not a DICOM viewing station. K-PACS is a viewer for DICOM images and not a PACS. Since it is a workstation software not a server software and cannot be queried by other stations, it seems not to be the best solution in your case.

If you are looking for a central storage unit, you should check out either our professional veterinary PACS solution VET-WEBX or look into the freeware ConQuest, that you can find in this forum.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!