Study Sizes

• We'll be upgrading to a 16-Slice CT in Q1 of 2008 and I need to start planning expansion of storage.

Does anyone know where there is a list of the average sizes of Dicom modalities which I can reference?

Or, can someone that has a 16-slice CT tell me what their average study size is.

thanks

• Each CT slice is 512kB, or half a meg.

The average size of a study will depend on the type of study, the thickness and interval of the slices that are stored, the number of recon jobs that are stored etc etc.

As an example though, Thorax Abdo Pelvis scans can easily end up with 1000 images in, which would take about 500MB storage space uncompressed.

I hope this is of some help.

Ed

• Hi,
    as snalbansed already told you it takes a huge ammount of space ;-).
    if you store a cardiac ct including some recon jobs you can even end up with around 14 to 15000 images, that would result in 7GB...ouch :-).
    So it pretty much depends on what images you want to archive.
    We currenty do archive our abd pelvis exam only in recon images of 5mm (I think :-) )to save space.
    So for exams you do recon jobs on, like cardia cts, it makes sense to only archive the "good" recons, and for other studies it just depends what you consider to be good enough.
    greetz

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!