New Server -how to copy archive

• About 8 weeks ago we moved the conquest server from our test-installation to a more powerfull workstation.
    By that time we had gathered about 360GB in 660k files.
    I found it really difficult to move all the files to theire new location on the 2TB RAID 5.
    Nero BackitUp 2.7 showed an error message at around half of the job stating that there wasnt enough space on destination drive -lol - and the Windows Explorer crashed two times.
    Overall this operation took me two and a half days to complete- - ouch!
    Though we will most likely run out of space in about 18 months I am already getting a headache thinking about it :-), by then we will have about 5 million files. (we will most likely build up a more powerfull, and then dedicated server)

I am very interested on any suggestion / solution to copy such an archive, maybe even with a verify option that will not take weeks to complete :-)

greetz

• 360 GB isn t that much. Is it stored to one hd or a raid? It should be copied in one night.
    In case of a raid, you could store it to a 500 GB, that is installed in your pc and than to the raid. and than reinitialize your database. Done in one week end.
    otherwise you move it via your intranet with k-pacs. That should work ether.

• The 360GB were stored on a 500GB drive, so I just hooked it up to the new pc and started copying.
    Well when I got the time I might try to copy our archive over ethernet to check that out, maybe this is more sophisticated the copying it with the windows explorer :-)

• well, the only way I would see at the moment is to move it with k-pacs in portions via intranet, there you ve the possibility to work it as well with the referring physician.

• @ blub:-)
    I really dont understand what you re doin.
    As far as I understood, you hooked up the hd with your stored files on the same pc with the installed raid. So where is the prob? You copy it with the windows explorer. And then reinitilize your database. Done in one weekend at least.
    I wouldn t copy 360 over the intranet , the connection will be lost

• @buschranger

Yes this is exactly what I did :-).
    I just had software problems doing this copy operation, Nero BackitUp and even Windows explorer crashed/stopped twice - so it was a little difficult to manage.
    So my question was merely if there are other and more reliable possibilites
    for such a file copy operation (maybe special programs etc.), especially when there are TBs of data to be copied in the future.
    greetz

• Bushranger

Mhh.. I have used Nero for amounts up to 500GB, I am pretty sure that it is not the size but the amount of files in total (660k) that was the prob.
    But you are right I will not use it again next time :-).

Bookworm
    I just took a quick look at the prog, sounds promising. I will try it out when I have some time left :-).
    By the way do you know how many files you copied?

• Quote from blub:-)

Bushranger

Mhh.. I have used Nero for amounts up to 500GB, I am pretty sure that it is not the size but the amount of files in total (660k) that was the prob.
    But you are right I will not use it again next time :-).

Bookworm
    I just took a quick look at the prog, sounds promising. I will try it out when I have some time left :-).
    By the way do you know how many files you copied?

I use it nightly to back up a windows server running ConQuest - I don't know how many files are on that now. (several thousand is all I can say). However, I have transferred something like 300,000 files without a problem. What takes a while is the calculation of the relatives sizes of the information. That can take a long time - once it's done, however, the transfer itself moves fast - at least, once the data has been transferred at least once.

• Hi!

Well when will need the program again I will have about 4 million files ot transfer :-). I hopeit will work.
    But i will test it in a few weeks with only one million, when it completes that job I am confident that it will work with even more.
    greetz

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!