brning patient data to dvd

• I d like to burn a weelky security copy to dvd, with the jukebox installation, but I ve probs to configure that in conquest.
    I want to create a folder where the files are stored in the size of a dvd to burn it with a third party software, like nero,, cause I dont use a jukebox. Is that possible?

• cool finally a user forum :-)!

First of all I would like to thank all develeopers of CONQUEST for their great work and providing this program to the public :-)!

I would love to have such a feature too :-).
    In my case it would be more a daily backup of all new patients.
    So it would be exceptional practical if CONQUEST was able to copy every newly received patient / study to a jukebox folder, fill this follder up to 4,3GB, and create a DICOM dir. So that the folder can be burned with Nero etc..
    Maybe with the possibility to include / exclude certain AE titles (cause we do not archive MRT studies on DVD). Therefore the foldername should include the date it was created on to know how to lable the DVD.
    greetz :-)

• Hi,

There are some options that can move (oldest entered) data to another disk or prepare it for burning to a DVD. We use it to fill 2 pioneer 600 DVD jukeboxes.

Here is a short manual (use options with care, test on test server first).

In DICOM.INI:

Code
    JUKEBOXDevices = 1JUKEBOXDevice0 = C:\dicomserver\Jukebox0\dv0_%04d\CACHEDevices = 1CACHEDevice0 = C:\dicomserver\Cache%d\dv0_%04d\

These options create a device for up to 10000 DVDs and a device for temporary storing the data. Beware of the %d syntax. This is how it should be!

Then a simple way of moving data to another directory:

Code
    mkdir c:\dicomserver\jukebox0mkdir c:\dicomserver\cache0dgate --selectlruforarchival:4300000,MAG0dgate --movedatatodevice:JUKEBOX0.1,MAG0.Archiving

This batch file should be run in the dicomserver application directory. It first creates the jukebox and cache root directories. The first dgate instructs the running server to select 4.300.000 kb of data on device MAG0. This data is marked by renaming the device to MAG0.Archiving. The second command moves the data to the jukebox directory (which must be an ordinary writeable directory). The data winds up in subdirectory DV0_0001 - this corresponds to device JUKEBOX0.1.

It is a little more complex when you need to store the data on an intermediate place to burn it to DVD - here the CACHEDevice comes into play:

Code
    mkdir c:\dicomserver\jukebox0
    mkdir c:\dicomserver\cache0
    dgate --selectlruforarchival:4300000,MAG0
    dgate --preparebunchforburning:JUKEBOX0.1,MAG0
    xcopy /s/e c:\dicomserver\cache0\dv0_0001\*.* c:\dicomserver\jukebox0\dv0_0001
    dgate --deletebunchafterburning:JUKEBOX0.1

Here the data is selected as before, then moved to the CACHE device. The xcopy command emulates burning a DVD. The final dgate compares the CACHE and JUKEBOX data and deletes the cache data if OK.

When writing this reply, I noted that there are errors in the dgate -? manual for some of the commands! Also dgate --restoremagflags: does not work, use dgate -au instead. These problems will be fixed in later releases.

What these options do NOT do:

create a DICOMDIR
    allow any other way of selecting patients then on order of entering the database.

Regards,

Marcel

• Hi Marcel,
    thanks to you and Lambert Zijp for your great work!
    We use Conquest since 2 years. The batches you just described are interesting. But I never found a manual for dgate. Is it still possible to download one?

• Hi Marcel

thanks for your reply.
    I tried it out, but unfortunately it doesn t work.
    I copied as proposed the

JUKEBOXDevices = 1
    JUKEBOXDevice0 = C:\dicomserver\Jukebox0\dv0_%04d\

CACHEDevices = 1
    CACHEDevice0 = C:\dicomserver\Cache%d\dv0_%04d\

and

to the dicom ini, then I restarted the server. I sent some images to the server from kpacs,
    but apart from the normal storing nothing else happened, especially the dicomserver directory had not been created automatically.
    May be I did something wrong that I misunderstood your description. Do I have to create the directory manually?
    Is the cache created automatically?
    how did you get it running?

Best regards
    Hans

• p.s

well, I forgot that the code

is the code of a batch file.
    So I created the file jukebox.bat with the code above, and it seems to work.
    I ll test it, but its really useful.
    Thanks for your help.

Hans

• cache is r/w
    jukebox is read only copy,
    so at one time data will be the same
    after verify cache will be deleted

Seems like the only safe way to burn a DVD to me.

I do not understand the other issue? We burn on a timer using a separate app that runs when disk space is low.

Marcel

• Where can I get a list with the dgate commands you always use in your discussion? I want to test some batches with one of my clinical used conquest server.
    Thank you

Quote from hscheurig

Hi Marcel,
    thanks to you and Lambert Zijp for your great work!
    We use Conquest since 2 years. The batches you just described are interesting. But I never found a manual for dgate. Is it still possible to download one?

• The only manual is dgate -?. This listing is also printed in conquestpacs.pdf. For more info you will have to look at the implementation in dgate.cpp in dgate1412.zip starting at line 8386. :) Here commands sent from another 'dgate --xxxx" are processed. Around line 3585 the older commands 'dgate -x' are processed.

Marcel

• Hi, all,

this is Ben from eFotoxpress , Fremont, CA.

We just get a dicom to DVD system completely done last month and being used/tested in CVI mountain view. It is a 5TB storage running conquest server and our software together.

Our software will check any series that pass certain days, if found, it will organize and prepare it for DVD burning. You can set 50 DVD or CD in our system. our system have a robot hand to grab the disc, burn it, label it and put it in the finished tray. After months, you just put those finished discs in your own storage case. Cool! (DICOMDIR included)

I think it is better than dgate option. because we always keep the file in the storage and will only remove the files according your setting in our db.

Any way. Thanks for the work from conquest.

• marcel,

I I copied as proposed the

JUKEBOXDevices = 1
    JUKEBOXDevice0 = C:\dicomserver\Jukebox0\dv0_%04d\

CACHEDevices = 1
    CACHEDevice0 = C:\dicomserver\Cache%d\dv0_%04d\

into the dicom.ini and run the batchfile

but to my surprise only 1 dvd had been created and this contained 5,6 GB.
    ( the first patients of the alphabet )
    Is the batch-file able to create multiple dvd for storing and burning?
    Anything wrong with the posted files?

• I ve a single dvd burner and want to burn with third party software ( Nero ).
    I guess that the only way, as Marcel proposed, to store the images instead of moving them is to mirror them additionally.
    But my prob at the moment is that only one dvd has been created instead of multiple that would contain in total the amount of files that I want to burn.
    May be I did anything wrong here, but at the moment I don t know what.

• The batch file moves data to one DVD and should be run with different DVD numbers to create new ones. Strange that is created a DVD with 5.6 GB when asking for 4.3. What did the logs say? There is no good way to copy data with dgate - it maintains only a single link.

Marcel

• For my understandng.
    The batchfile is able to create multiple dvd for storing and burning with third party software while moving them from the original folder of conquest to the created dvd folders.
    So if I want to burn for example 80GB, there should be created 17 dvd folders with the dcm files, when running the batch file.
    Is that correct?
    I s this working on anybodies pc without probs?

• No,

the batch file creates data for one DVD! The next dvd is created by:

Code
    dgate --preparebunchforburning:JUKEBOX0.2,MAG0
    xcopy /s/e c:\dicomserver\cache0\dv0_0002\*.* c:\dicomserver\jukebox0\dv0_0002
    dgate --deletebunchafterburning:JUKEBOX0.2

etc. Where 2 is the number of the DVD.

These features definitively work (they are used for our DVD archive).

Marcel

• hello,

I found a nice software - burn to the brim - ( http://bttb.sourceforge.net ), that is able to create automatically multiple folders in predefined dvd size from your conquest archive to burn them as security copies. Really cool.
    you also may burn them directly with nero for example , but I haven t tested that.

• As a workaround to migrate data for DVD creation could you not run a second instance of Conquest and have all received images forwarded to this second Conquest. From the 2nd Conquest you could move images for DVD creation. Thus you keep all received studies yet create backup disks. The only thing lacking is a DICOMDIR file created on the disks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!