Migrating existing instance to a new Windows Server

• Hi All,

As we know Win Server 2012R2 goes EOL in October this year. I'm in the process of building a new server but would like to know the easiest and effective way of migrating all the data from the old to the new. I was thinking of either;

A) Creating the new server as it's own DICOM AE and then setting a rule to push everything from the old server to the new server or

B) Recreate the old server on the new box. Copying the all the data over (robocopy, teracopy, or similar) and regenning the database.

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks

Mike

• Hi,

One idea:

1) Make a new server

2) Make a new database

3) Install (or copy) conquest excutables

3a) Connect the server to the database

4) Point MAGDEVICES in the new server to windows shares on the old server

5) Add an extra MAGDEVICE for new images, using script to set is as preferred (e.g. ImportConverter0 = storage MAG10)

6) Transfer all database information - hopefully if that can be done during downtime, i.e. once, just before offlining the old server

(transferring the database is much faster than a full regen)

Now the new server can go online and the old one offline.

This whole process can be dry run without any danger, as long as you do not write stuff through the new server than ends up on the old server

Then - with the new server online - slowly migrate the data one MAGdevice at a time, using robocopy.

It is a leap of faith to use the latest conquest, you can also copy your old setup if you feel more safe

Marcel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!