Running Conquest on a Synology NAS or elsewhere using Docker

• Hi,

at work we have a Synology NAS that is used to store multiple large static medical image collections.

I wanted to install conquest to make several 10TB archives accessible in read-only mode. These are my steps for each archive:

install and start Docker on the synology

registry - debian - download this image

for each archive:

registry - debian - lauch

give container a name

advanced settings

volume - add folder (local where the images are) mount path e.g. /mnt/dicom, enable readonly if you want

port settings map local port 5678 to 5678, map local port 8080 to 80 (use e.g. local port 5679 and 8081 for a second container)

apply

detail of running container

terminal

apt update

apt -y install make sudo nano systemctl gettext-base

apt -y install git apache2 php libapache2-mod-php git g++ lua5.1 liblua5.1-0 lua-socket p7zip-full

ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblua5.1.so.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblua5.1.so

a2enmod rewrite

sed -i 's/AllowOverride None/AllowOverride All/g' /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

sed -i 's/memory_limit = 128M/memory_limit = 512M/g' /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini

sed -i 's/upload_max_filesize = 2M/upload_max_filesize = 250M/g' /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini

sed -i 's/post_max_size = 8M/post_max_size = 250M/g' /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini

systemctl restart apache2

git clone https://github.com/marcelvanherk/Conquest-DICOM-Server

cd Conquest-DICOM-Server

chmod 777 maklinux

chmod 777 linux/regen

chmod 777 linux/updatelinux

chmod 777 linux/restart

./maklinux

(choose options 3, yes, yes)

nano dicom.ini

change MAGDevice lines as folllows:

MagDevices = 2

MagDevice0 = /Conquest-DICOM-Server/data/ (keep as it was, used for temporary storage and inadvertently incoming data)

MagDevice1 = /mnt/dicom/

systemctl restart conquest.service

./dgate -v -r

after regeneration is done (can take a long time)

Now your DICOM server is running on the NAS, at port 5678 (5679)

Its web interface is also on the NAS, at port 8080 (8081) e.g. IP:8080/app/newweb/

It is a good idea to backup setting using

Container - Settings - Export (include the image)

Have fun!

Marcel van Herk is developer of the Conquest DICOM server together with Lambert Zijp.

Edited 3 times, last by marcelvanherk: Web stuff to apps, php ().

• The only issue is that every time the container is restarted, you have to start conquest and apache manually in the terminal with:

systemctl restart apache2

looking for a solution for that. (A restart script is now provided in 1.5.0c)

Otherwise performance is great (It did a 9TB database regenerate in about 12 hours, initially reading ~1000 CT slices per second). I did use xterm as terminal which seems to be faster than the built-in terminal in Synology Docker. The sqlite database is over 1Gb, and in the end it does slow things down a bit. There are over 18 million images in my test database (NLST), which is maybe a bit much for SqlLite.

Marcel

• In the 1.5.0c release, also a Dockerfile (below) is included allowing you to generate a non-persistent test server very quickly.

The code show how to run and build it!

• marcelvanherk

Changed the title of the thread from “Running Conquest on a Synology NAS using Docker” to “Running Conquest on a Synology NAS or elsewhere using Docker”.
  • A little benchmark on the update to indices in 1.5.0c:

For 18 million images, the change in indices (2 new joint indices) on SqLite:

made regeneration a bit slower: 12 hours -> 13 hours

made database a bit bigger (12TB -> 15 TB)

has little impact on speed

BUT: reduces memory consumption while in use drastically (4GB -> 90 MB)

Marcel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!