Sort radiographies

• Good morning, in the folder Imagebox I should like to create several folders, one for each year because I have so many radiographies that it takes a long time to open it. How can I sort them as the name of each file doesn't show the date ? Thank you for your help and sorry for my poor english.

• First of all, K-PACS is not intended to replace an archive. Therefore, it is not built to keep too many studies.

Secondly, the structure of the database and imagebox is fixed. The imagebox folders are created according to the study, series and instance UIDs. If you change the folder structure, K-PACS will no longer recognize the images and not show the studies in the study table. And all new studies being retrieved or being imported will be stored in the same UID structure again.

However, if you want to somehow clean up the imagebox but create a back-up for the radiography studies before deleting them from the imagebox, you can sort the studies according to study date within the study table, then select the studies of one day and export them into a folder project. Afterwards you can put this folder onto a back-up drive and delete the studies from the local imagebox. But note that you will have to scan the folder and re-import the studies if you need them at a later date. That means you need to know in which folder the needed study is. Or you need to scan all folders which can take a really long time, depending on the number of studies.

The better solution is to use an appropriate archive that can make all studies available whenever you need them.

• First of all thank you for your answer but I see that I did'nt explain clearely my problem: I have already created folders named 2013-2014....2017. My database for local folder is ImageBox\2017 for this year and I will change it on 1/01/2018 for ImageBox\2018. Till now all my studies were in a big folder called ImageBox\2013-2020. I am slowly changing the localisation of the studies from the folder 2013-2020 to the one of the year of the study. So I have the possibility to examine the radiographies made in 2017 in Database and from other years in Filesystem and the year corresponding and it is much faster. My question was: is there a way to reconize the year of the study in the name of the folder without each time using the Export function to reconize the name of the folder holding teh bmp and the dcm file ? Thank you for your answer. (PS I am veterinary)

• I understand now. I must say that it sounds as if you are spending a lot of your precious time on that.

The answer to your question is "no". The folder names represent the study instance UID of the respective number. This is a number that is unique for every study and it usually includes a number of identifiers, like the device that created the data set, its manufacturer, but often also random numbers that ensure that the number is unique. While the ID may also include date and time information, it is normally not readable.

The only way to identify whether or not a particular study was done in a particular year would be to check the database file "KPStudy.dir" in the "Server" directory. This text file lists all studies that are currently stored in the K-PACS imagebox. Each study is written into a new line within the file. The first item again represents the study instance UID. After a comma the study date follows. Such a database entry will look similar to the following:

1.3.12.2.1107.5.8.3.485257.836649.80674856.2005121408291133,20051220,080525.265000,PatID123,19720423,Newman^Sandra,ReferingPhys,AccNo123,MR,SPINE,F,§20110823

... where

is the study instance UID and also the folder name and

is the study date.

Now, you could look for study dates with 2017 and then use the UID to search for this study in the folder structure.

I'm not sure how many studies you have in total. But if you want to keep working with these yearly folders, my suggestion would be the following:

- First of all, you may want to set up a second K-PACS station so that the database restructuring work does not impede your daily work.
    - Make a copy of your big ImageBox\2013-2020 folder and connect this database to the K-PACS station.
    - Now use the column header in the study browser to sort the studies according to study date.
    - You start with the year 2013, for instance.
    - Mark all studies in the study table that are not from 2013. And then delete them. (If you have really many studies, you may want to delete in chunks.)
    - Then take both the imagebox (i.e. the folders with the actual images) and the database file and put them into the "2013" folder. This way you save both the actual studies and their registration in the DB. You can later connect both and have easy access to the data without having to scan the entire "2013" folder for its content.
    - Now you use new copies of the ImageBox\2013-2020 folder to do the same for all other years.

And from 2017 on, you simply back-up the K-PACS database at the end of the year. And then start with a new database/imagebox with the new year as you already intend to do.

I hope this helps a little.

• Wouaouuuuuu !!! How could'I thank you enough when I realise how long it took to explain me so well how to solve my problem. It worked fine and I have now my radiographies sorted by year. The new one go in the folder 2017. I'll juste have to think to change to 2018 on 01/01/2018.
    The KPacs community is realy great ! The time I have won will be usefull to work my english. :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!