KPACS transfer to conquest failed with large clips

• I work with K-PACS 1.6.0 and Conquest 1.4.17 release 20130517.
    The transfer from K-PACS Imagebox to the conquest server works fine as long as the clips are no longer than ~100 images but for longer clips the transfer fails.
    In the Imagebox it's possible to view these long clips.
    If I use MIPAV to transfer clips from the Imagebox DICOM-file location to the conquest server the transfer works fine. So I assume, that the problem lies with the settings of K-PACS.

Can I change something in the settings of K-PACS so that the transfer would finish successfully?

Gilbert

• With "large clips" I suppose you refer to multi-frame DICOM objects (such as ultrasound or enhanced CT or MR) where one object contains a number of frames, like a video file.

During the transfer of such big DICOM objects it can happen that the association (connection) times out, especially when the object needs to be prepared first before sending. This is often the case when DICOM objects are sent in a compressed form and the compression first has to be done. It takes a while and the receiving station times out because it "thinks" that nothing is happening.

There are two options to prevent this from happening:

1. You can force the receiving station to keep the association open longer, so the time-out will come later. This can create a big enough time frame to send over the big DICOM object. In this case, you would have to increase the DIMSE time-out at the ConQuest.
    2. You can disable the image compression feature and send the DICOM object in its original form. This you can check in the K-PACS.ini. Look for the parameter "SecondProposedTransferSyntax=" and set it to Little Endian Explicit as transfer syntax. Unless you store the images in a different format in the K-PACS imagebox. In that case you should use that particular transfer syntax UID.

Sometimes, with really large objects, you may have to do both to succeed.

• Thanks for your reply.
    While trying to implement these changes I found the following:
    1. In dicom.ini of conquest I found a TCPIPTimeOut but not a DIMSE time-out. Is this the same?
    The TCPIP timeout is set to 300s. The timeout of conquest has not yet reached when K-PACS already indicates an error.

2. in k-pacs.ini I found the following “SecondProposedTransferSyntax=1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.70“
    How can I find out if that’s the format in which the images are saved in imagebox?
    If I change to Little Endian Explicit, would I write the entry that as follows?
    SecondProposedTransferSyntax= Little Endian Explicit
    The last line of k-pacs.ini says "ExportAlwaysLittleEndianExplicit=0". Would it be an option to set this to 1?
    Gilbert

• Quote from GilbertK

1. In dicom.ini of conquest I found a TCPIPTimeOut but not a DIMSE time-out. Is this the same?
    The TCPIP timeout is set to 300s. The timeout of conquest has not yet reached when K-PACS already indicates an error.

I'm not sure if that's the parameter. TCP/IP usually would refer to the network communication (how computers communicate with each other via network). DIMSE is a DICOM term and refers to the transfer of DICOM objects. If you are sure that the TCP/IP time-out of 300 sec is not reached, then it may be that a DIMSE time-out occurs further. I would suggest that you switch over to the ConQuest boards in this forum and try to get an answer to this question over there.

Quote from GilbertK

2. in k-pacs.ini I found the following “SecondProposedTransferSyntax=1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.70“
    How can I find out if that’s the format in which the images are saved in imagebox?

By default, K-PACS will uncompress all images that arrive in its imagebox. Unless you changed the default settings, this should be the case. You can open a study in the viewer and use the DICOM header dump view to check which transfer syntax the images have. That will be the one that the images are stored in.

Quote from GilbertK

If I change to Little Endian Explicit, would I write the entry that as follows?
    SecondProposedTransferSyntax= Little Endian Explicit

No, You always have to use the UID of the transfer syntax, not its name. The correct parameter would be:
    SecondProposedTransferSyntax=1.2.840.10008.1.2.1

Quote from GilbertK

The last line of k-pacs.ini says "ExportAlwaysLittleEndianExplicit=0". Would it be an option to set this to 1?

No, this option only refers to the export of DICOM images to CD/DVD in case you burn a patient medium with K-PACS.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!