MRI Series / scrolling wrong order?!

• Hello,

many years we are using KPACS 1.6 for MRI studies,

Now there is a new MRI, Philips dstream and we have big problems scrolling the images in correct order... Sometimes, different by the acquisition of the MRI series everything is ok BUT other series the image jumps from 1 to 6to 11 and then to 2 to 7 to 12 and then to 3 to 8 to 12 (this is only an example)

The philips software itself scolls correct and the MiniViewer by ConVis (very old version) does it also correct??!

Any idea?

Björn
    Bremen, GermaNY

• PS:

I have tried the "enhanced DICOM" from the MRI and now we are using again the "normal DICOM" transfer / DICOM output from MRI to conquest server and then the KPACS loads the images by query from the conquest

I could send you some compressed and anonym Dicom data if this would help :)

Björn

• What exactly do you mean with "enhanced" and "normal" transfer? Are you referring to the SOP classes in which the MR images are encoded? That would be MR Image Storage vs. Enhanced MR Image Storage, meaning single-frame images vs. multi-frame images.

And are you saying that the images are displayed in the correct order as long as you use the "normal" way?

I would suspect that the issues lies somewhere in the DICOM information and/or encoding of the images. Something that is not handled correctly by K-PACS. Keep in mind that the last software version is a few years old already and may not be fully compliant with newer DICOM objects.

Do you have an opportunity to try the images with an iQ-VIEW? Would be interesting to see whether it works there. You would be able to download a trial version here.

• You are right,

I mean MR Image Storage vs. Enhanced MR Image Storage, meaning single-frame images vs. multi-frame images. This was a problem some years ago so we changed to single-frame and it worked fine. I can see in conquest that the images really are transferred as single images, not as one big file, so that seems to be ok.
    And kpacs shows really different image Nr in compare to the philips viewer or in compare to the MiniViewer mentioned above.

I`ll give IQ-View a try BUT how much newer is the last release?

• IQ View works with the Knee MRI examination but not with an MRI of the LWS in our case. I also have to activat the "next multiframe button" every time i change the view?
    In LWS images it works not in the transversal and not in the sagittal images...

• Well, K-PACS 1.6.0 was published in 2009. The latest iQ-VIEW version (2.8.0.101) came out in summer last year. Four years can make a lot of difference in our field.

Thank you for trying out iQ-VIEW with your data. Looks like this solves some of the issues but not all. I know we had some difficulties with image sorting order due to specific UID structures. I assume that it's something in the images. Could you maybe provide us with a LWS sample study with which you could reproduce the issues? Like you, we would like to know what's the reason for the strange behavior. But I don't think that we will be able to do that without looking at the images ourselves. Feel free to anonymize them beforehand, but please check that the issue still occurs with the anonymized images. We had several events where an issue was solved by running images through the iQ-VIEW "Modify" option.

Something else you could try: iQ-VIEW offers different image sorting options, with instance number being the default. You find these options under the menu item "Additional settings" in the viewer. Is there an option that gives you the image order you are looking for?

To answer your question, no, you do not have to use the option "next multi-frame object". If a series contains several multi-frame objects, iQ-VIEW will let you browse through all frames of all objects from start to finish of the series. It's just a navigation option, so in case you have several objects within a series, you can quickly jump to the next one.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!