DICOM test load generator

• This script generates a heavy load of storing dicom data, the same image is sent over an over again with modified UIDs to make it look as a new image, with a new series per 100 images and a new study per 1000 images:

file testload.lua

Code
    x = DicomObject:new()
    x:Read('t.dcm')
    for i=0, 1000000 do
    x.SOPInstanceUID = genuid()..p
    if (i%100)==0 then x.SeriesInstanceUID = genuid()..p end
    if (i%1000)==0 then x.StudyInstanceUID = genuid()..p end
    x:Script('forward to CONQUESTSRV1')
    print(i)
    end

Call e.g. from a windows command prompt as:

dgate "--dolua:p=2;dofile('lua/testload.lua')"

where the value p you pass must be unique for each client that you start at the same time (as many as you like). My fast PC (mysql database) stores about 100 512^2 images per second and seems to limited mostly by disk speed.

I added

ForwardAssociationLevel = SERIES

to dicom.ini to use one association per generated series of 100 images.

Marcel

• Hi,

if you want to run this from multiple systems at once: you only need files

dgate.exe
    dgate.dic
    dicom.ini
    acrnema.map
    dicom.sql
    t.dcm

where t.dcm is a sample dicom image. As installation is not needed, it runs fine from a memory stick. I edited the above script a bit to remove the hard path to t.dcm.

This stripped dicom.ini is enough:

Code
    [sscscp]
    MicroPACS = sscscp
    UIDPrefix = 1.1
    ForwardAssociationLevel = SERIES

run as:

dgate "--dolua:p=2;dofile('testload.lua')"

Also acrnema.map can be totally empty if you write e.g., script('forward to localhost:5678) in testload.lua. File dicom.sql is needed if you want to run queries in the test program.

Marcel

• This script will run from zbs and start 3 threads at the same time to heavily bombard the server with data:

with

ImportConverter0 = destroy

The script shows a throughput of 320 MB/s writing (and reading) with 3 threads on my 8 core I7 machine. Not bad! Similar scripts resulted in some of the bug reports for heavy load. The script uses some features of version 1.4.17b, though.

Marcel

• The above script runs in 4.5 - 5 s, with logging to file only.

If I add line script('compression j2') to the script after loading the dicom image (3 threads), the script runs in 11 seconds, showing that 3000 j2 decompressions in 3 threads takes 6 seconds (512 x 512 images). I.e., for 512^2 images with 3 threads, jpeg images are decompressed in 2 ms. Actually a little longer (about 7.5s and 2.5ms), because the image transfer of compressed images will be somewhat faster, i.e. 3.5s.

If I add line script('compression n1') to the script after loading the dicom image (3 threads), the script runs in 5.6 seconds, showing that 3000 n1 decompressions in 3 threads takes 2 seconds (512 x 512 images). I.e., for 512^2 images with 3 threads, NKI N1 images are decompressed in 0.66 ms.

If I add line script('compression n4') to the script after loading the dicom image (3 threads), the script runs in 6.5 seconds, showing that 3000 j2 decompressions in 3 threads takes 3 seconds (512 x 512 images). I.e., for 512^2 images with 3 threads, NKI N4 images are decompressed in 1 ms.

If I add line script('compression jk') to the script after loading the dicom image (3 threads), the script runs in 65 seconds, showing that 3000 jk (jpeg 2000) decompressions in 3 threads takes 60 seconds (512 x 512 images). I.e., for 512^2 images with 3 threads, jpeg2000 images are decompressed in 20 ms.

Note that all these timings exclude disc access since images are not stored or network speed since the transfers are local.

Marcel

• Hi

I copy paste the above script in PACS lua folder and then execute the script with provided command. But i got series of error appended below both on windows command prompt as well as server.

On Windows Command Prompt i am getting these messages

ImportConverter19.0: forwarded object to PACS

*** ImportConverter19.0: Forward failed because SopClass is missing

and on server console

[PACS] UPACS THREAD 194: STARTED AT: Tue Mar 28 14:09:34 2023

[PACS] *** connection terminated

[PACS] UPACS THREAD 194: ENDED AT: Tue Mar 28 14:09:34 2023

[PACS] UPACS THREAD 194: TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 0 SECONDS

Will you please guide me where i am missing something.

Regards

• No, nothing was saved. I only received these messages on server console

[PACS] Monitoring for files in: c:\pacs\data\incoming\

[PACS] DGATE (1.5.0c, build Tue Aug 30 11:00:44 2022, bits 64) is running as threaded server

[PACS] Database type: native MySQL connection

[PACS] Starting 1 DelayedForwarderThreads

[PACS] Started 3 export queue thread(s)

[PACS] User interface test: local server is running!

[PACS] Server command sent using DGATE -- option

imagegenerator.lua

t = os.clock()

if p==nil then

for j=1,3 do servercommand("luastart:p="..j..";dofile('c:/PACS/lua/testload.lua')") end

return

end

testload.lua

x = DicomObject:new()

x:Read('t.dcm')

for i=0, 1000000 do

x.SOPInstanceUID = genuid()..p

if (i%100)==0 then x.SeriesInstanceUID = genuid()..p end

if (i%1000)==0 then x.StudyInstanceUID = genuid()..p end

x:Script('forward to PACS')

print(i)

end

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!