dicom retreival without bmp?

• hi folks,

yesterday i get some troubles with k-pacs.

i installed k-pacs installed on the pc.
    i configured a dicom node.
    dicom verification is completed.
    i can retreive dicom images.
    when i look inside the dicom folder of the retreived image, i see 1 dcm file and 1 bmp.
    both give the same picture, but other quality.

when this all is ready, i use dicomworks to change the value of some dicom tags.
    but, dicomworks isnt able to scan the folder of the dicom images.
    this problem is caused by the bmp file which is in the same folder as the dcm.

is it possible, when retreive dicom images of my pacs, to leave the bmp?
    i guess k-pacs will make the bmp for use as thumbnail or something like that?
    but, i just only want to receive the dcm file.

anybody any idea?

thanks in advanced!

Jean-Paul

• iQ-VIEW has the same issue

if you export a case to a folder you get DICOM and bmp as well

there's should be an option to get rid of bmp when exporting

they are a waste of space and make file copy slower

• as a workaround I had to create a batch file to automatically delete the bmp from the exported folders.

however i don't understand what is the purpose of all those bmp?

it seems to me that they only represent a waste of disk space

• for those who are interested of getting rid of .bmp files in K-PACS and iQ-VIEW databases

1- create an empy .txt file and call it deletebmp.txt

2- open it and digit this code:
    del /S "D:\K-PACS\Imagebox\*.bmp"

obviously you have to enter the proper path of your K-PACS or iQ-VIEW imagebox

3- save and close that file and rename it as deletebmp.bat

4- double click that file and it will scan all the folders of your Imagebox deleting all those .bmp

• Hello,

these Bitmap images are used as thumbnails in iQ-VIEW's study browser preview panel. They are created on retrieval so they do not need to be created when selecting the study in the browser.

I do understand your concerns but at the moment there is no way to avoid the creation of these images.

• Ok, 1 bmp per series would be reasonable but 1 bmp per image expecially in CT and MR studies is pointless since you just show 1 thumbnail as a preview of the whole series and there's absolutely no use for the others...

as I said before I run a batch file do delete all unnecessary bmp from the disk

• the interesting thing is that KPACS and IQ-VIEW create just 1 single .bmp per serieswhen importing studies from CD-ROMs

while they create 1 .bmp per image when receiving images from my MRI.

is this different behaviour intended or is it a bug?

as I told before, 1 bmp per series is OK
    but 1 bmp per image is pointless...

is there any way I could adjust IQ-VIEW settings to have just 1 bmp per series even when receiving files from the MRI?

• This is not a bug. It was intentionally implemented this way. For received series one thumbnail per image will be created. There is no chance for the user to change this behavior.
    So it would rather be a feature request to change this. I'll mention this point one more time on the next development talking.

• thanks Erik.
    do not take it personally but if the "1 DICOM - 1 bmp" rule is not a bug is at least a very badly managed feature.

as I told before, if you have a series of 100 DICOM files, there's no purpose of having 100 .bmp when you just use 1 in the thumbnail bar...
    the other 99 are just waste of disk space...

I appreciated that you will discuss this issue in next development talking.

as a reminder I filed a Mantis report here:
    http://mantis.image-systems.biz/view.php?id=2466

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!