BUG: Modification deletes local examination

• Hi,

I've come across a rather interesting/disturbing bug in K-PACS v.0.95:

When importing CD-roms from other hospitals I have to modify the Accession number as well as the format of the patient's name to fit the standards of our hospital. This is mostly without a problem in v.0.95, but with some examinations (typically CT and MR) there is a bizarre problem:

First, I modify the DICOM tags, I need to change. Then I click 'Accept', and I then get the normal messages "Modifying headers" and "Registering modified images". So far, so good.
    It's slower to "Register..." than usual (comparing with CTs and MRs), and upon completion the entire examination marked for modification is deleted from the local Imagebase!

Very odd and quite alarming. I've not seen this happen with v.0.942.

Anybody else experienced this odd behaviour?

Cheers,

Henrik Lang
    PACS Administrator
    Glostrup Hospital
    Denmark

• I already noticed this behaviour. Unfortunately, there are different methodes involved in reading dicom image information . If you read in a CD, most of the time K-PACS will read the DICOMDIR and not the header data of the images. When modifying a study, K-PACS reads every dicom header and changes header information.

There are scenareos, when the DICOMDIR is valid, but the images are not completely DICOM3 compliant. Most of the time they simple lack a metaheader (which is mandatory for DICOM3 files). HIPAX for instance produces this kind of corrupted images.

The procedure that registeres files after modifying header data will fail when images are not DICOM3 compliant. If this happens, the study is distinct from local database, because it was removed from it beforehand to savely modify the header data.

I already changes this procedure to a more flexible one (the same one, that scans for images when the "check every images for dicom compliancy" checkbox is unchecked), but be aware of problems that these kind of images can produce with other systems.

A fix will be awailable soon,

regards,
    Andreas

Ps.: the reason, why this did not happen in older versions is, that the OFFIS code can correct non compliant files. Our new (faster) library is currently not able to do so.

• The problem was solved by Andreas Knopke (after a very big effort), who discovered that spaces in the installation path caused this problem. Reinstallation of K-Pacs 0.95 using a more simple path solved this, and the solution should be part of the latest builds, I believe.

Cheers,

Henrik Lang
    PACS Administrator
    Glostrup Hospital
    Denmark

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!