K-PACs, DICOM, and firewalls

• I'm having trouble getting images to transfer (c-move) from our main PACS. I can query the studies by patient ID, modality, etc. But when I try to open a study it fails, with the remote side returning a DICOM error comment: "Error: Unable to Process; Internal Error".

The PACS server technician is unable to get a c-echo response from my KPServer even when my client is up and KPServer is clearly listening with TCP on port 104... but I can get a c-echo response from the PACS.

Could this be a firewall issue on my local machine? (MS Windows XP).

If that's possible, I need to ask our IS Security guys to open ports for me (we can't do it ourselves). What ports should I ask them to open on my local firewall? 104 and... ?

Thanks for the help.

Here is some more snippet from the K-PACS logs on a failed transfer:

My local AET is IWIMAGE03 but in the log entries above, the local side is identified as IWIMAGE0300008.5. ... I assume that's normal behavior?

• Here a little list of steps:
    1. CMD-shell command "netstat -ano": the port 104 is in LISTENING mode for your KPSERVER
    2. compare the PID of the netstat commad output with the PID in the task manager's process list to identify the process bound to the port is KPSERVER (maybe you need to add the PID column in your task manger view settings)
    3. Check with CMD-shell command "PING _your_ip_" from the PACS that the network route is working
    4. Run KPSERVER in "verbose mode" (KPACS>local settings>Server admin tool) and see if anything arrives, e.g. the C-ECHO request of your PACS.

When port 104 is LISTENING for KPSERVER and nothing shows up in the verbose output window it leads to firewall/network issues. You then need to get your IT guys in and get the 104 port open on your system and (if network wide controlled) also on any firewall on the way from the PACS. But your IT guys should know how to make your application on a specific port be able receiving incoming traffic :).

BTW, the KPSERVER only uses one (1) TCP port.

• Quote from spiff

Could this be a firewall issue on my local machine? (MS Windows XP).

If that's possible, I need to ask our IS Security guys to open ports for me (we can't do it ourselves). What ports should I ask them to open on my local firewall? 104 and... ?

Ok, this WAS a firewall issue on my local machine (Windows XP firewall). I opened port 104 TCP to the PACS and this enabled the images to transfer.

-s

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!