JPEG encoded image transfert problem

• Well, I have been using Conquest for a couple of year now. Great and stable. Thanks a lot.

We are putting together a project to migrate old data from an AGFA IMPAX 3.5 where the data are all in dicom JPEG compressed. The exact Transfert Syntax is JPEGLosslessNH14 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.57 . Now I have setup Conquest 1.4.14beta 20070322., down to 1.4.11 trying to get the dcmdjeg.exe to do the decompressing but it is never even invoked, What we have is an association that never happens because Conquest claims that the list of SOP should be added to the dgatesop.lst file. Now if I use dcmdjpeg of the source file and send the output file to Conquest all is fine. If I comment out or not the JPEGLosslessNH14 entry in dgatesop.lst it does not change the issue. It's like it's never getting there. I activated the use of DCMTK OFFIS in the GUI and using .dcm extension. I compared all entries in the log generated from storescu with the -d switch . Can't figure out that one. Not related to modality type. It's purely JPEG related and/or LittleEndian/Explicit/Implicit sort of problem.

Here is the complaint

C:\DCMTK>storescu -v 127.0.0.1 5678 NM.dcm
    Requesting Association
    Association Accepted (Max Send PDV: 16372)
    --------------------------
    Sending file: NM.dcm
    Transfer: JPEGLossless:Non-hierarchical:Process14 -> LittleEndianImplicit
    Store SCU RQ: MsgID 1, (NM)
    XMIT:DIMSE Warning: (STORESCU,ANY-SCP): sendMessage: unable to convert dataset
    from 'JPEG Lossless, Non-hierarchical, Process 14' transfer syntax to 'LittleEndianImplicit'.

storescu: Store Failed, file: NM.dcm:
    0006:020e DIMSE Failed to send message
    storescu: SCU Failed:
    0006:020e DIMSE Failed to send message
    Aborting Association

Note: Inspection of the Conquest log indicates all negotiations over the modality source but never indicate the transfer sysntax that was proposed and/or the answer received it would help if negative answers would show in the Conquest logs.

Has someone had the problem before...

• Hi Stephane,

I looked into your problem (after I got home from vacation). The problem is not that conquest does not accept the message but that the error message on the conquest side is wrong.

Storescu can send any data, but it can only do so with the transfer syntax that you specify on the command line. If that does not correspond with the transfer syntax of the file, it will not recomoress the file, but gives an error message and hang up the DICOM connection.

Conquest then reports - incorrectly -: *** Association rejected: you may need to add the listed presentation context as sop to dgatesop.lst".

This works, though:

storescu -v --required --propose-lossless 127.0.0.1 5678 NMc.dcm

I will add the incorrect error message to the bug list.

Marcel

here is your mail:

Thank you for answering so quickly. Here is an example of the files I have to deal with (NM.dcm). It's a simple whole body image from NucMed. I forgot to mention that The original transfer syntax is 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.57. After decompression (with dcmdjpeg.exe) it becomes obviously 1.2.840.10008.1.2.1 (that file I can transfer) and if I recompress (with dcmcjpeg.exe to obtain NMc.dcm) the syntax transfer is 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.70 which I can't transfer either. I'm almost embarrassed to think it might be a simple config problem but I really tought I tried all angles with the configs.

• Marcel! Welcome back! Tomorrow is my turn for vacation....

You identified correctly the source of the error. I thought that all was fixed and I was getting the same error both with the original file from impax or after decompression and recompression. I used the dcmdjep.exe and dcmcjpeg.exe tools. Now after recompression the type of compressed file is "JPEG Lossless, Non-hierarchical, 1st Order Prediction" and that is well handled with the switch --propose-lossless but for the original impax file the type of compressed file is actually "JPEG Lossless, Non-hierarchical, Process 14" ?? The same command is not successful.
    I don't know how to handle that TS.

Stéphane

• Well Marcel I finally resolved that one (with you wise guidance)!!!

I looked at the code for storescu and noticed that the "JPEG Lossless, Non-hierarchical, Process 14" does exist in the dcmtk 3.5.3 environment but simply was not implemented as an option on the storescu utility. I modified the option parsing lines (only 4 lines to add) and now the option --propose-jpegprocess14 invoke the EXS_JPEGProcess14TransferSyntax TS whereas the --propose-lossless invoke the EXS_JPEGProcess14SV1TransferSyntax TS. I know this is not a DCMTK forum but since it is the final word on the issue. I transfered the image over to Conquest and confirmed that all is saved as is by the Conquest server (if one want it that way). In my case it will speed up the migration progress significantly.

Great !

Now I can leave later today for my vacations with complete peace of mind.

Thanks again Marcel!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!