images are blank on conquest db older than 20 days

• I have a question about viewing old images (ones that have left the K-Pacs imagebox) from a local Conquest db. Older images are showing a black screen.

I have Conquest and K-Pacs running on the same machine. My CR is sending images to Conquest (WALKER1 , 104) where
    they are stored on a local Disk. K-Pacs (KPServer , 105) is able to view them by going to the filesytem tab and choosing the conquest db drive. I can bring up and view the images. At that point I can also view that same image by looking at the local image box tab in K-Pacs

I have K-Pacs overflow management set to a "max of 20 days on local". This is because K-Pacs is on the C: drive which
    is very small. Conquest is on the F: drive which is 500GB. I don't want conquest to ever purge data. Cleanup nightly settings are both at 0MB in conquest.

My problem is that when I view the local imagebox I see the last 20 days of images, and when I view the
    filesystem tab, which is the conquest DB on the F: drive, I see all the patients listed there, but only the last 20 days have images. The rest of them show a black screen with the patient name in the viewer.

It's probably something simple I"m missing, but I'm not very familiar with the software yet.
    Do I need to import the images from Conquest back into the local image box? Or open them some other way.
    Currently I'm just doubleclicking the patient name from the filesystem tab. It appears that my conquest db is continually
    growing, however I only have images on the last 20 days worth of patients.

Thanks for any help.

• The approach that you are describing to view images of a Conquest datase is not optimal. You can directly connect to the conquest server via DICOM network. Conquest is listening at port 5678 by default and K-PACS at 104. Open the Conquest server's dialog and add "KPServer 127.0.0.1 104" to the "Known DICOM provider" tab. After a re-start of the server you should be able to "query" the conquest server in the network mode of K-PACS and "retrieve" (download) the images. This is much faster than scanning the harddrive. The reason for the black images is, that Conquest compresses the images by default with a proprietory compression method that K-PACS does not support. If the images are available in the imagebox of K-PACS as well, they will be loaded from there. That is the reason, why you can display the images of the last 20 days but not the older ones.
    If you use the network approach, Conquest will negotiate the compression method (transfer syntax) and decompress the images prior to transfer.

Regards,
    Andreas

• Thanks for the reply. However I am still getting the same results (black images).

I added the Conquest server (WALKER1 127.0.0.1 104), to the KPacs network tab. I can successfully querry patients,
    but when I doubleclick to open the image is black. It shows the patient name, date.. with a Down Arrow, when I hit the down arrow it lists my conquest server, but still does nothing if I click that.

In Conquest I added the Kpacs (KPServer 127.0.0.1 105) to the known dicom providers list.
    I konw the AE titles and ports are not the default values, but I have double checked that they are setup correct.

The job log in KPacs shows a successful retrieve. And the Conquest status tab looks like a successful send.

IN Conquest under the Configuration tab it shows "Images on disk are stored" "uncompressed"

I even tried the Querry/Move tab in conquest to move a image from WALKER1 to KPacs, Conquest said it was
    successful, but I am unable to find the image in my local imagebox database tab from KPacs.

Please let me know if there is anything I should try to get this resolved.
    Thanks

• I don't have a solution to this yet, but I'm sure it's something simple.
    I attached a picture showing my setup. (see the file attachments to this post)

One strange thing I noticed is that when I send images from my CR850 to the Conquest (WALKER1), they automatically
    showup in the KPacs imagebox without me doing anything. I'm not sure why that happens.

My problem still remains that once the images have left the KPacs imagebox (after 20 days), they can be querried from
    the KPacs network tab (which querry's the conquest DB), and found, but when I open them they only pull up black images. It seems logical that Andreas's instruction to querry the Conquest DB using the KPacs "Network" tab instead of the filesystem tab would solve the problem because it would uncompress the image properly, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in my situation.

Any suggestions?

• You could start the server in verbose mode (opens the KPServer in a console window) and also add "-d" parameter in "additional parameter": local settings / Server Admin Tool. You should see now if anything arrived and if it is registered in the imagebox db. Also check the new study appears in the db file kpstudy.dir (just a plain text file). If the study appears process to series and image level in the corresponding directories. In case everything looks fine your db structure is propably corrupted. In that case a reorganization should help. If nothing is arriving at all you have to check your dicom setttings in Conquest and K-PACS. A nice tool is netstat. Use "netstat -ano" to see if your K-PACS port is open and listening.

• I attached some pics and log files. Everything looks sucessful to me.
    However when examining the file kpstudy.dir , I don't see any difference after the transfer.

I'm going to try sending images to another machine running KPacs and see if they show up.
    THanks for your help.

Sorry the last 3 lines of the pic are covered, they should read:

60, 1 Affected SOPInstanceUID
    DIMSE sendDcmDataset : sending 154 bytes
    DIMSE receiveCommand

• Issue Resolved:
    After more testing I found I was able to pull images from conquest to another PC running KPacs just fine. However I was
    never able to find any errors relating to why the original system was not able to pull images from Conquest.

What ended up fixing the problem was uninstalling KPACS completely, choosing to completely remove the local db, then reinstalling with the latest version. I did change the KPACS port numbers during this process.
    Works fine now, thanks for all the help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!